• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
totallynormal

Meditation anyone?

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

What's your routine?   2 members have voted

1. 1. What's your routine?

• I meditate in silence
    • I meditate to the sound of the TV and/or radio
    • I meditate to ambient noises
    • I meditate to meditation music
    • I don't meditate

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 posts in this topic

I've been meditating regularly for a while now & I've always tried to do it in silence, but it never works & I almost always end up frustrated when I finish.

So I gave in today & got an ambient noise app to play during & I've got to say I LOVE IT! For the first time that I can remember I was able to sit an entire session & not have to try to keep my head clear. It's so much easier to just listen to the rainfall or the beach waves & just relax!

The app I got has a bunch of different sounds, a timer & even has controls to regulate what you hear (want to hear a stream with frogs but no birds? Reset the controls). I'm so in love with this thing :) I wish I hadn't waited so long to try it!

So, how do YOU meditate?

meditate? what do you meditate on?

i meditate on the word of God, reading scripture, generally in silence. i may meditate on Him with worship music, but only if i'm alone. otherwise it's just music.

I don't meditate anymore but I used to. It's normally done for relaxation if your anxious and/or stressed which is why I did it in the past  :smiley:

nessa76

LadyC - No I meant how do you meditate, not why. People meditate for several different reasons, like you do it for your relationship with God, I do it for self awareness, clearing my mind & peace.

Nessa - That's why I started, but even after I removed most of my stressers I kept at it.

Ahhh, I see totallynormal. I listened to relaxing music like Enigma when I meditated.

Glad you still stuck to it, or still do  :smiley:

nessa76

actually, what i answered WAS my "how", not my why. i figured the why would be obvious. the "how", though, is that i meditate by reading scripture in silence, or in listening to worship music in private.

the only other kind of meditating i even comprehend is the active thinking kind... like meditating on a problem that needs a solution. but in general, when people talk about meditating, they're not talking about deep thinking, and i literally do not know what people meditate on. so that was my question when i said what do you meditate on. i really am looking for a real answer! what do you focus on? what is it that fills your mind? because to meditate means to dwell on something or focus on it. relaxing would be an emptying of the mind. so what exactly does one meditate on?

There are dozens if not hundreds (if you count off-shoots) of kinds of meditation. How do I do it? That depends on how I feel that day.

Most of the time I utilize a focused path, where I visualize a certain image (a color, a tree, a house..anything really but usually a tree) & focus on it for a set time. If my thoughts stray (& they will) I make an effort to stop the thought & go back to what I was focusing on.

(This I've found is WAY easier with ambient sounds to focus on)

If I am having a particularly off day I will forget about focusing on anything & just follow my thoughts. You just sit with your eyes closed & let your mind go to town, don't try to stop the thought - instead try to follow it all the way threw (which a majority of people don't do). Keep doing that with each new thought you have.

If I am having a really horrible, terrible, awful day & I'm stressed way to far out I will fall back to what my therapist (old therapist - I don't go anymore) called touch therapy or touch meditation. It's where you pick an object (with a texture), close your eyes & rub your fingers over the object slowly & repeatedly. In your mind you focus on that sensation of touching the object & nothing else. If your mind wanders away you go back to it.

that second one for an off day sounds incredibly un-relaxing LOL. it seems to be what happens on my insomniatic nights, which are many! well  they used to be many. i've noticed though that since i've been low-carbing it, i have fewer sleepless nights.

#2 would probably drive me crazy on a sleepless night.

No, by an off day I mean a day that I try to do #1 & my brain just won't shut up lol. Or if something is really bothering me, it helps to just follow the thought & see where it goes..

Have you ever seen the movie Wild? There's a part where she says something about going to most of the places in her head that she didn't want to go to, #2 is kind of like that. It's usually a thought that I would normally push aside because it's not something I want to think about (e.g. Mother's Day is coming up soon & my mom is gone) but if I just let the thought play itself out, it's not weighing on me anymore & I can let it go.

I feel like I'm explaining it badly lol But hopefully you know what I mean.

haven't seen wild yet. it's on my list though! that and "cake" when it comes to video. as for following my thoughts? well, they always go in circles. sucks, really. by 3 a.m. i've passed the starting gate a thousand times.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0