• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
baliber

cousins having kids

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, well I just wanted to ask a few questions. My cousin and I have been dating for a while now and I asked her to marry me and she said yes . We have been talking about having kids I'm all for it but do have my concerns.

She tells me everything will be fine and we will be a happy family. So should we go to a Dr to find out if everything will be OK and what kind of Dr should we see and should we be completely honest with the Dr about us .

Congratulations to you and your very smart cousin!  She is right. The problems with cousin babies has been highly exaggerated and is mostly incorrect!  We do recommend that ALL couples (not just cousins) consult Genetic Counselors before having a baby - just as insurance. 

Genetic Counselors can advise you of possible problems and reassure you that you have an excellent chance of having healthy children.

Yes, you should give your doctor all information.  If the doctor is negative - find another doctor!

Do please keep us informed - we LOVE happy life stories!!!!

HUGS

Nat

ditto what nat said! and yeah, i've never heard of a doctor getting all weird about it. doctors have heard everything. a little thing like cousins having kids is probably not even something that would register on the 'weirdness' scale with them. i watched an interview once with an obstetrition about the weird things he had seen in his career. he was specifically asked about cousin couples... his reply was that cousins having babies was actually not that uncommon... it's just that most couples kept that info confidential with their doctor.

Awww, thank you guys and yes our relationship is a true love story that I am very proud of. I wouldn't trade her for anything and proud that she will be my wife.

Hi Baliber.

I am pregnant with my cousins child, currently 22 weeks and all is perfectly fine! Here in the UK it's not very likely anyone would go to a doctor before getting pregnant unless they have medical issues that may affect a pregnancy. We have a scan at 12 weeks and blood tests to determine any issues. We had none, and my 20 week anomaly ultrasound revealed a healthy, happy baby. If you want piece of mind, go see a doctor of course, but I think you'll find all will be well. Good luck to the both of you on your journey. Keep us posted! X

The NSOGC report stated that cousins should have no special tests because they are not in a special risk group for having a baby with a birth defect. Get your prenatal care and stop worrying.

Just echoing the other responses. Unless there is a genetic disease which you know runs in your bloodline, rest assured that your child will probably be fine. If there is a hereditary disease in your family or you just can't let go of the worry, see a genetic counselor for blood tests. They'll be able to tell you of your baby's risk for everything, if there's any risk at all. Good luck!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor