Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JackQ

Something

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

8 posts in this topic

I have relatives that have a son and a daughter. Their daughter is normal. However, the son has a disability from the time he was born. It's baffled me and I never asked. Until very recently. I asked the mother how come her son is not able to talk and she said that he is "handicapped". I asked her if he could understand what she says to him. She said that he could understand in various foreign languages, not just in English.

But, I wonder what are the chances of a baby, being born to first cousins, being handicapped, compared to an unrelated couple, such as my relatives?

I think he has mutism, but I'm not sure.

Well its a 4-6% i think with 1st cousins to have birth defects of some sort  :smiley:

nessa76

I haven't seen him in years, only recently. I started to wonder and it got me thinking, that he is never going to get a girlfriend. Make friends. Attend school and even have a successful life, if he can't even talk. How do his parents even know if he has needs and wants, like eating and drinking, if he is unable to talk/communicate with them? He is an adult now. I would not be able to live his life if I was in his shoes. I'm not just talking about him, but all the other people out in the World with disabilities. It's sad. I wish there is a way to give these disabled and handicapped people a life worth living. People like this make me feel really sorry for them. For them not to be able to experience life like a normal human being would.

JackQ,

Don't be quite so quick with the pity for him, and others with disabilities. Most people with them find a way to cope just fine. You may be underestimating the human spirit too much. Many do find love, and have families even. Many times the children are NOT affected by the same disability as the parent(s) either.

At least here in the U.S., the ADA has greatly improved access to not only buildings, but, by extension, society at large. Those with disabilities now have more opportunities than ever to succeed and live full, prosperous lives......

I just may be underestimating the human spirit. But, even with federal assistance, some people are still not so fortunate. We can only do so much until we give it all that we have and then throw in the towel because our actions were not successful.

I'm sure he has his parents and his sister's support. I am certain that I cannot stand being able to socialize with other people due to my inability to speak. It will drive me crazy.

If he was born with the disability, he wouldn't be bothered by it because he wouldn't know any different I would think  :smiley:

nessa76

It's just really sad to see that he is born the way he is. Not just him, but other people as well. It's life, I guess.

It is life. My Aunt had one that was handicapped (brain damaged) and one that was down syndrome, she was happy because she never knew of being anything other  :smiley:

nessa76

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0