• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Joe

Cousin marriage in Texas?

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

5 posts in this topic

My question is, can I marry my cousin once removed in Texas? What paperwork do we need to show? Our nationality is Mexican but we live in the United States.

If your cousin is the son or daughter of your mother's or father's brother or sister, you can not marry your cousin in Texas.  I married my first cousin in Texas in 2002 but they changed the law shortly after that.  I hope this helps. :smiley:

Hello Sandy, thank you very much for replying :) I'm thinking about marrying here next year but I don't know what to do or where to go to get info as of if I can marry my first cousin once removed... By what I've read online, I can't marry my first cousin (daughter of an uncle or aunt) But supposively I can marry my cousin's daughter (which is first cousin "once removed.")

But who can I go to get info or legal help? Would a lawyer be of good help???

you can marry your first cousin once removed. you do not need to show any paperwork. just fill out the application for marriage. truthfully.  if i recall (and if it hasn't changed) the question that would concern kinship is worded something like 'are you related within the prohibited degrees'. the answer is no, you are not.

i actually wish i could download one of the applications and look at it to see how it's worded now. can't find one. some states let you download them and others don't. guess texas doesn't.

ok i found it. https://dallas.landrecordsonline.com/marriageapplication.aspx is an online application form. here is how the question reads:

The other applicant is not related to me as an ancestor or decedent by blood or adoption;a brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption; a son or daughter of a brother or sister of the whole or half blood or by adoption; a current or former stepchild or stepparent; or a son or daughter of a parent’s brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or adoption

now let's break that down.

the other applicant is not related to me as an ancestor or decendant by blood or adoption. that means you aren't her dad/grandpa/great-grandpa and she's not your daughter/granddaughter/great-granddaughter.

a brother or a sister of whole or half blood or adoption. that one is self explanatory.

a son or daughter of a brother or sister of the whole or half or adoption. that means you're not her uncle and she's not your niece.

a current or former stepparent or stepchild. that means you're not and have never been married to her mother.

or a son or daughter of a parents brother or sister (of the whole/half/adoption). that means if her parent and your parent are brother and sister (which would make you first cousins) you can not marry.

now.... just so we're clear on what the definition of a first cousin once removed is, and you probably know this already since you know that you and your fiancee are first cousins once removed... she is the daughter of your cousin. so there ya have it... fill out the application. you can be completely honest and not worry about anything.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0