• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quarter25

The joys of social networking

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

5 posts in this topic

So on a libertarian page I frequent quite a bit on Facebook I was insulted for pointing out some facts on the common misconception that children from cousin relationships always have some sort of genetic problem. Not sure how to post the screen shots from my phone but one of the commenters went as far as to attack my appearance, saying I looked like I was the result of inbreeding :huh: and another thought he was insulting me by insinuating I had an attraction to my cousins (only have one I'm very fond of Lol  :wink: ) it was quite amusing Lol. Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

the anonymity of the internet allows spineless people the luxury of being hateful without repercussions. i went the other route. i always made my comments on real media rather than social media... newspapers, magazines, television. i used to wear a t-shirt (custom made) that said 'i married my cousin.... gotta problem with that?' never had any problems. people are typically cowards, and in real life, if you're "out there" with the information, they're not going to say things to your face. only behind your back LOL. that's why i never did get into broadcasting things on social media. over the years, a few people in cousin relationships have criticized the reluctance of cc.com to put up a facebook page, or google group, or myspace (back when that was popular). LOL, it's not fear that keeps us off social networks. it's sanity that keeps us off. 

Most people on my personal page know of my relationship because the majority are family members and that was only brought to light because we posted about the birth of our daughter. The funny thing is I never once made it personal just refuted some fallacies in what the original poster had said, he didn't even point out what exactly I said that was wrong because there wasn't anything that was. He responded back not too long after I posted this and made it apparent that he seriously lacks reading comprehension, in his mind, what he got from my comment, was that I had stated that it was impossible for genetic mutation from "inbreeding" to occur when what I had really said wasn't even close to that. He insisted my insult was warranted and that I should read a book Lol I shot back with, in short "maybe you should do some research beyond the common misconceptions pushed by the eugenics movement, maybe read some studies from Dr. Alan Bittles". I'm sure he'll end up throwing something together after that since he seems to think he's some sort of expert on the subject. I agree with that, can't understand the absolute garbage some of these people spew as if it's gospel, drives me crazy!

try not to let it get under your skin LOL. ignorance runs rampant. the irony is, the same people who will bash cousins with the most fervor are usually the ones screaming about how everybody else is bigoted about x, y, or z.

Lol I don't plan on it, was just a little surprised that simply stating facts would generate that sort of response, also that on a libertarian page someone wouldn't agree that two consenting adults having the possibility of being fined or locked up just because they happen to share a small percentage of DNA was a little draconian. You're correct, I've seen alot of people state not agreeing with someones life style choice, believing that those who say they are trans have mental problems or Christians not wanting to participate in a homosexual wedding because of their religious beliefs are all forms of bigotry (even though they agree with their freedom of association inside a business setting or otherwise when it comes to the wedding scenario), while others have compared it to racial segregation. Funny how those two can be linked but they don't recognize the similarities in refusing interracial couples the right to have children/marry and refusing that same right to cousin couples all due to the eugenics scare :huh:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0