Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Joe

Where I can I get local legal info about cousin marriage?

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

3 posts in this topic

Hello guys :) Where I can get information regarding cousin marriage in my home town? I'm from Texas & I want to know who I can go to as far as getting married.. Would a lawyer know about this stuff since it's about laws? Or should I go to the city hall or Where can I go??? I really want some help :/

Reason why I say this is because Texas is somewhat confusin regarding cousin marriage. By what I've read on the internet, I CANNOT marry my first cousin (daughter of an aunt or uncle) but I CAN marry my first cousin "ONCE REMOVED" (daughter of a cousin, which is our case) is that true?? Honestly, I have to figure out by someone who knows the marriage laws & that will tell me if I can or cannot marry my cousin, based on the law :/

Joe,

As far as in your home town, you would need to see a family law practitioner. Your results may vary. You may need to speak to more than one. You should be able to fine one who will actually look at the law and tell you, without letting their personal biases cloud their advice.

We are not lawyers, and do not give legal advice. That being said, not too long ago, I went through, and looked up the statutes for all the States which, in one way or another, prohibit cousin marriage. I do recall the verbiage as you describe it. Again, I'm NOT a lawyer, but, if that is still how the statute stands, that IS pretty specific, and does NOT include 1C1R's.

Our admin LadyC is in Texas, and married to her 1C1R, and has been for several years now. Of course, with that is the caveat that they were married BEFORE the law was changed. I have a feeling when she sees this, she'll pop in for her take on it as well. 

yep, ditto what hawk said.

and yes, when i married, it was 1999 and even first cousins could marry (although we are 1c1r).  the laws changed for first cousins in 2005 in texas. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0