• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SlpWyllow

History of cousins in family

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

4 posts in this topic

Hi. First just want to say this site is great, really makes me feel less alone.

So me and my bf are second cousins. My grandparents were also cousins and I heard another couple before them were cousins as well. At least one of these couples might have been first cousins.

My question is if we (me and my bf/second cousin) ever have children are the risks increased because of the history of cousins in the family?

SlpWyllow,

Just as we are not lawyers, we're not geneticists either. However, if I'm reading this right, only your grandparents are cousins. First or second cousins? And, I'll assume, being second cousins, one of your grandparents is a sibling to one of his grandparents. I'll assume his other grandparent is not known to be any kin of any sort either. So, I'm going to venture an answer of no, there should be no significant increased risk. You don't mention any ill effects to your parent or any other siblings they might have, as a result of them (the grandparents) being cousins, so, the chances are overwhelmingly in your favor to NOT have any issues. In fact, if the shared family, and the families of the others on your and his side which are married into the shared line are generally healthy, it could go to a slight increase in chances for stronger positive traits from that line. With outside blood in his grandparents marriage, and again in his parents' marriage, as well as your parent's marriage, you should be fine. See how any ill effects (and again, positive traits as well) get watered down quickly, so as second cousins are considered at no appreciable increased risk? See a geneticist, but, I have a feeling they are going to tell you the same thing, M'Dear. Don't loose sleep over it.

Oh, and if your grandparents are still alive, tell them we said Hi, will ya? LOL Maybe show them this site, and we may be lucky enough for them to share their story with us, and give a little advice from the pros.  :grin:

Thanks for the reply, Hawk.

According to my mom and uncle, cousins a generation older than my grandparents were also together. I believe my grandparents were first cousins.

My grandmother and my bfs grandmother were indeed sisters, they sadly both passed.

My uncle says things like the reason him and his siblings are so "messed up" is because his parents/my grandparents were cousins so its things like that that makes one think, especially if one isnt so educated on the matter. Besides two of my uncles being alcoholics they arent much worse than most families in my opinion.

But seeing a geneticist is an option I have heard about and one I want to consider.

Sadly, both of my grandparents have passed. It'd have been great to have learned more from them but little did I know I would enter into a cousin couple just like them.

SlpWyllow,

Even with the history there is, I'm going to still say you two should be fine. That said, your uncle MAY have a point, TO A POINT. The genetic "repercussions" associated with cousin couples are rare conditions, which have now been discovered to be twice as likely in FIRST cousins as opposed to the general population. While that sounds huge, the fact that the "background noise" chance in general is somewhere between 1.5% and 3%, an increase to 3% to 5% isn't going to be prohibitive. It amounts to the same chance of a woman of 40 yrs old having similar issues. The increased risk is known, but you don't see anyone clamoring to sterilize 40 yr old women, or restrict them from becoming pregnant because of it now do you? And again, this is for FIRST cousins. While the chances DO increase more with a continued history of cousin couples in the family tree, with no known issues of this type, and second cousins considered to be at no increased risk, you'll be fine.

But, your uncle could have a point, just off base as to how he came to it. I've went into this before, but, it's been a while, and some of those threads are probably gone now, so here goes again....

I'm not with my cousin, nor shall I ever be. (BTW, Happy Birthday Cuz, it's her birthday today. Mine was last Saturday.  :grin: ) We are second cousins, and a lot of why we didn't go for it was, she was scared of what people would say, and that there would be these genetic issues. Way back then, in the Stoned Age, there was no internet, more less web site like this with these resources available. We went on the old wives tale assumptions like everybody else tends to. We had our moment, and walked away. Now, had we went for it, and had kids, even as second cousins, there would have been a better than average chance that there could have been an increased risk of more common issues.

Our Mom's are first cousins, and they have another male first cousin ( "Uncle___, as we call him, even though he is our 1C1R) by another of our grandfathers' brothers.  I have A-fib. Mom has it. "Uncle ___"  has it. My grandpa had it. But we have no indication that "Uncle ___"'s dad had it. We have no indication Cuz's grandpa had it. Cuz's mom doesn't have it, and neither does Cuz or her sister. So, there is a known history of A-fib in the shared line. Some have it, some don't. Had we went for it, and eventually had kids, the fact that I have it, coming down from at least my grandpa, would have increased the risk to my kids. The fact that Cuz is from the same line, with that known history, COULD also increase the likelihood. But, just as likely, since coming down from HER grandpa, it is NOT there, would be the chance that those genes would have prevailed, and our offspring would not have had it. It would be the same for any normal condition even among non-related partners, with a history in each line. Same goes for other conditions, such as diabetes, breast cancer, (which Mom and Cuz's sister both have had) bad knees, ingrown toenails, blue eyes, you name it. With alcoholism now shown to have a genetic factor, that gets thrown in the mix as well. (That's what killed "Uncle ___"'s Dad) If there's a history of it in the family, then there is the chance it pops up. As the line is a little tighter than the norm, so goes the risk. That part could be correct on your Uncle's part, but, not for the reasons he's assuming, that it is strictly because of the cousin couples. The risk would have been the same had each partner not been related, but, had a history of it in their family as well and yours. The issues known to be specific to cousins are not in this list of more common problems the general population as a whole deal with..... and again, only extending to first cousins.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0