• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
meomeo

Relationship confirmation

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

5 posts in this topic

Hi there I just needed to clear up some questions if anyone has the time to help.

When a marriage law says that it is prohibited to get married within 3 generation of relative, how many generation is she away from me? She is my second cousin once removed. I'm 22 she's 19.

Are we still related by blood? How much DNA do we share? will our relationship affect anything that we have to worry about besides family acceptance. One reason why it is odd to them is that she is one generation lower than me but our age is not that far apart. I have a feeling they worry about what to call each other if we are ever together. Thx in advance.

i'm not sure what marriage law you are reading. is this in the united states? i've never seen one worded like that. in any case, 2nd and more distant cousins are legal to marry throughout ALL of america (and to my knowledge, worldwide.) even 1st cousins once removed are legal to marry in almost all states in america. i think only 6 prohibit it. so as second cousins once removed, you have nothing to fear, legally.

now, you ask how much dna you share. i'm no genetic expert, but i've been mentored by many during the earlier years of research here. what i can tell you is that 2nd cousins (NOT once removed) share 1/32 genes in common, and unrelated couples share 1/33. so biologically speaking, second cousins and unrelated individuals are pretty much the same, when it comes to dna. that being said, it's not even possible to say that being 2nd cousins once remove you would share LESS than unrelated individuals. LOL that just wouldn't make sense! but suffice it to say, for genetic purposes, you're not even biologically related in any way that bears relevance to future generations.

now, that doesn't mean there is no risk of birth defects to your children. it's just that those birth defect risks wouldn't have anything to do with kinship if any turned up.  that's why we always tell people that seeing a genetic counselor is a good idea for ANYone planning to have a child, related or not.

Thank you for the reply LadyC , I've only just looked at a marriage requirement via online specifically for Vietnam as I am Vietnamese. It was worded as this instead " The couple does not have blood relatives in three generations". So would she be 3 gens away already? Is it still okay? I'm just a bit worried and confused, thx again.

we have a handy little chart on our site (http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=relation) and according to it, a third generation relative would be a first cousin... so unless there is something lost in translation between languages, you should be safe to marry :)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0