• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
nessa76

Cousin Marriages?

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

9 posts in this topic

Why is it that in half of the state's marriage is allowed with 1st Cousin's but the other half it's prohibited?

Just out of curiosity, thanks!

nessa76

because until the supreme court decided to write law that it had no authority to write, marriage law was exclusively the right of each state to decide. as for why half of the states decided to prohibit it, the short answer is a combination of ignorance and ick factor. way back in the 1800s when laws first started being passed to ban cousin marriage, there was a eugenics movement afoot to try to prevent the rapid assimilation of immigrants in this country. so a quack expert named bemiss put together a biased and BS scientific report at the urging of a crooked government with an agenda. (some things have never changed.) hence, states that were mainly inland and less populated were easily buffaloed into thinking such laws were necessary.

A lot of people in power have their biasis, government is another example of those people. Ignorence does go against scientific evidence/proof/means unfortunately!

Would you say the research/study on Japanese Quail would be kind of scientific? I do although we're not birds, it says something for sure!

nessa76

oh i would, of course! it's at least a good start! but there has been a lot of research and stats and proof when it comes to genetic studies on humans, and people just don't want to hear what they don't want to hear. they'd rather pass judgment.

What LadyC said and other reasons we may not even understand.

One reason was certainly the result of hemophilia in the royal family and the ensuing hysteria over cousin marriages. Also, Americans probably wanted to distance themselves from these royals whom they saw as "simpletons." Hey we haven't always had good relations with y'all across the pond. I think the royals, for so many reasons, made it less fashionable to marry a cousin.

What we thought we knew about genetics steered us toward the cousin marriage prohibitions in the States. We knew squat about genetics.

Texas was the last state to ban cousin marriages. This was a child abuse bill aimed at stopping religious cults from marrying each other incl underage cousins. I agree that that is child abuse and should have been stopped. The States have been at war with the Mormon church from the get-go. We even ran them out of the country with promises of annihilation if they returned.

Thanks KC, i know the royal family is well known for Cousin marriages etc... but to say it's now unfashionable is just crazy because i wouldn't even say its that or fashionable. Cousin's SHOULD only marry each other if they're in love with each other, calling something fashion/unfashion is just sending out the wrong message(s) to society at large.

I do agree that child abuse is correct with forced marriages of under age cousin's! Mormon's is not a religion, it IS more of a cult than anything but the word Mormon makes me laugh because my Cousin is/was one Lol

Genetics wasn't as advanced years ago like it is today, just like DNA wasn't either!

nessa76

I hope the Royals are not saying it's fashionable now, they're in London (UK) and Cousin's CAN marry over here!

just to clarify what i think everyone already knows....

hemophilia isn't an autosomal recessive disorder... thus, even though it's blamed on cousin marriage, it has nothing to do with it. hemophilia is an x-linked disorder that affects the male children born to women with a particular anomaly on one of the x chromosomes. it wouldn't matter WHO she married, if she carries that gene, her sons are likely to be afflicted. and who those afflicted male children marry is irrelevant too... THEY can't pass it down to their children.

The particular case in Texas involved a particular sect of Mormons (Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints), excommunicated by the mainstream Mormon Church.  The reason the lawmaker in question thought it would be easy to target them with a law banning cousin marriage was that the particular sect in his crosshairs at the Yearning for Zion Ranch was mostly made up of two families that had intermarried for roughly 100 years.  The end result, failing to gain a sufficient number of external converts (and not particularly interested in doing so anyway) was that nearly 100% of the marriages in that group were between first cousins (with that being the closest of their many identifiable kinships).  Making cousin marriage illegal AND sexual intercourse with a first cousin a serious felony allowed stacking of offenses to guarantee that they were violating at least one serious law, and therefore targets of the state. 

His efforts to drive them out eventually proved unnecessary when a hoax call from Colorado resulted in a raid, unconstitutional taking of EVERY child (and several adults) in the community.  While the raid itself was dubious and legally questionable and the subsequent actions even more so, it didn't stop the state from using a separate series of stacked laws to seize the property, driving the entire group out of the state, long after their leader, Warren Jeffs (and a few others) were imprisoned for their sick and disgusting acts.

On one hand, I am glad Jeffs et al are off the streets and in prison.  On the other hand, I am disgusted that the state used him to seize the property and homes of so many with a single consideration for due process or their civil rights.  I don't agree with their beliefs but if the state has the right to do these things just because the rest of us consider them weird, I fear it won't be long before I'm right alongside those now homeless and broke families with no property, no rights, and no one who cares.

it actually was more than just that. he had already been run out of las vegas (after having been run out of utah) before he came to texas... and the whole thing that kept him running was that prosecution was pending because he was involved in forcing a 14 year old into a marriage to her cousin. at the time it was all going down and he fled from vegas to texas, i was living in vegas a few miles from their "family home".  his pending trial was constantly on the news. personally, i wish he was in jail. that teenager was only one in a list of teens forced into marriage. as far as i'm concerned, that is rape.

but it has nothing to do with cousin marriage in general, and the new law sucks.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor