• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
eflo56

In what states is it illegal to marry your half cousin?

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

7 posts in this topic

Hello my half cousin and I are newly married and we share 1/16 DNA just out of curiosity what states would this not be allowed if we were to travel there? My wife and I feel we have a call to Ministry were not sure when that will take place but it would be good to know where we would be able to go?

The only reason I was wondering is because genetically half cousins are as closely related as first cousins once removed in terms of DNA they share. So if only six states prohibit first cousins once removed from marrying does that apply to half cousins to?

The only reason I was wondering is because genetically half cousins are as closely related as first cousins once removed in terms of DNA they share. So if only six states prohibit first cousins once removed from marrying does that apply to half cousins to?

I'd imagine it will apply to half Cousin's but I might be wrong. Hopefully someone else knows, I'm sure they will though!

Just go to somewhere that allows half Cousin's to marry :smiley:

nessa76

We are NOT lawyers and cannot give legal advice.  You would need to consult a lawyer.  

As for visiting other states, you won't have inspectors checking you at the state lines.  

Nat

eflo56,

What Nat said plus....

You will first want to look at the link nessa76 posted. The verbiage is cursory for the most part, but, if you have specific questions about specific States, I can get the statute for you. On the linked page, don't worry about the green States. If you were legally married in whichever State you were married in, I wouldn't overly stress over most of the others either. They may have wording to the effect of "whether of the whole or half blood" in their marriage statutes, BUT, if such verbiage isn't in the criminal incest statute, you can legitimately tell them to take a hike. States where you MAY have an issue would include, (but may not be limited to) Wisconsin, Texas, and (IIRC) Nevada. Possibly Oregon, I don't recall. At any rate, as Nat said, I've yet to see "Cousin Inspectors" at State lines. In this Country, you have the right to remain silent, and the right to not incriminate yourself. I always advise to exercise these rights to the fullest........ 

if a state prohibits marriage between half cousins, it will state that a marriage is illegal between cousins of the whole or half blood, or it will state that you can't marry someone who is nearer kin than 2nd cousins.  the state laws page that was linked to has that information.

that being said, you should always double check with a family law attorney to make sure there haven't been changes to the law or other parts of it that we are unaware of or don't understand.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor