• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danee012

Help! Dating Cousin in Another Country!

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

I met my cousin about four years ago on a trip to Mexico with my dad. A couple of months later we started dating then he had a fall out, but now we have reconnected. This time our relationship is even more serious, and we are planning on getting married when I'm done with school. The problem is, he lives in Mexico and he does not have a visa to come to the US. We want to live in the US be we want to be able to freely travel from one country to another (e.g. US to Mexico). My first question is: Is there any legal way I can get him to the US, so we can get married here if he doesn't have a visa? Is there anything special I can do? and my second question is: If there is not and he must come illegally, does our legal marriage allow me to make him a legal citizen? Will I have any trouble with the government if I try to make him a citizen after we have been married?

Please, I really need help. :cry:  Thank you very much!  :laugh:

we don't specialize in immigration around here. but why don't you go THERE and marry him? it might solve a lot of issues. you might have an easier time getting him a visa to come live here if you marry there, rather than try to get him a visa in hopes of marrying here.

you should probably find a good immigration lawyer to talk to.

oh, and the only thing i do know for certain, is that his marriage to you would not grant him citizenship. a visa, maybe, but not citizenship. that's a whole process of its own. and one that, if he wants to live here, he'd be wise to do. after all, why would he want to be an illegal immigrant? why would YOU want him to be an illegal immigrant? do things right. don't try to skirt the laws. that's just unamerican.

danee, i see that you reported my last post. i must assume that you took offense to my saying it's unamerican to wish him to be an illegal immigrant. so let me try to explain it in a way that makes sense.

we're not opposed to immigration around here. we're opposed to breaking laws and trying to find ways around doing it legally. think of it this way... if your cousin went through all the hassel and jumped all the hoops to becoming a citizen here, how do you think HE would feel about the next guy skirting around the laws and then being given a free pass? it would be unfair to your cousin. if you want to do something, do it right the first time. that includes bringing your cousin to america.

now, as i already suggested, but i think probably got overlooked because you got upset... why don't you get a passport, go visit your cousin, and marry him in mexico?  that doesn't mean you have to live in mexico, but it might make it easier to get him a visa if you, as a citizen of the US, are married to him beforehand. i can't swear to that, because i'm not an expert on immigration. but i would think it would be easier for someone who is already married to a US citizen to get a visa than for someone who is just engaged to a citizen. does that make sense?

now, just a little FYI... i'm one of the administrators of this site. when you report my posts, you're reporting me to me. so in my politically incorrect manner, let me summarize for you what and why i have made the suggestions i did....

(1) i think it would be great for you to get your cousin over here to live with you, as long as it is done legally.

(2) i am absolutely pro LEGAL immigration... but i'm not going to mince words about how i feel about illegal immigrants. they should all be deported.

(3) if anyone here can't comprehend the difference between LEGAL and ILLEGAL, then that's not my problem. it's theirs.

(4) i hope that you are not one of those who can't comprehend, because i'd like to wish you and your cousin all the happiness in the world.

(5) and one last thing... if given the option, given how our country seems to be being run into a hellhole by a government that doesn't have our best interests in mind, *i* would rather be living in mexico than here! and i'm not talking resort towns. i'm talking about somewhere with a simple lifestyle. i'd settle in boquillas if i could. jose falcon's has some awesome food.

oh, and the only thing i do know for certain, is that his marriage to you would not grant him citizenship. a visa, maybe, but not citizenship. that's a whole process of its own. and one that, if he wants to live here, he'd be wise to do. after all, why would he want to be an illegal immigrant? why would YOU want him to be an illegal immigrant? do things right. don't try to skirt the laws. that's just unamerican.

by the way, danee... is this what you thought was a lecture? i wasn't assuming anything about you in particular. i didn't say you would want him to be illegal.  i was making a theoretical point that all too many people don't bother to consider, and advising you not to try to skirt laws like millions of others do. be better than that.

I suggest you consult an immigration lawyer who will be able to give you information on the proper procedures for you and your cousin.

Lady C is correct - we do approve of legal immigration but not disobeying laws.

Good luck

Nattana

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0