• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
eflo56

Why is there such a taboo against cousin couples?

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

7 posts in this topic

Hello does anyone know why there is such a stigma against cousin marriages is it because people are just misinformed I me how did this become such a taboo in the west, and why do people frown upon this type of union I don't understand.

long story short, people became more mobile. families became geographically dispersed. at the same time, we had a lot of immigrants coming to america, and the government wanted to stop their rapid assimilation... the way to do that was to prohibit THEM from marrying cousins, since they tended to come here and settle near family.

so mobility worked in two ways... lessened the frequency of americans marrying cousins, but bringing in people from other countries who WERE marrying cousins. enter the eugenics movement. enter the government starting a propaganda war and hiring an expert to produce fabricated studies that convinced people it was risky and dangerous. (who'd ever believe our government would be so underhanded, right?)

generation after generation, the frequency of cousin marriage lessened, and the belief in the tainted study known as the bemiss report became deeper rooted. and there you have the reason in a nutshell.

I've also heard, "Isn't it illegal?" Or "Wont you have a baby with three heads?" Or, "That's against the Bible."

Taboos die slowly or not at all. The best thing you can do is live your life and be happy. Don't try to seek approval from every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Yeah, 'against the Bible' is my favorite one. While I may be an atheist, and don't believe in anything the Bible says, doesn't it say that the first two people were Adam and Eve, and they were the ones who started breeding? And, if that were true, wouldn't that mean that their children would have to breed together? So, doesn't that mean we're all at least distant relatives?

Another thing that doesn't make sense to me: In Oregon, it's legal to marry your half-cousin, not your first-cousin. Which I kinda get, I suppose. But it's also illegal to marry your adopted first-cousin. Now, what kinda sense does that make?

Peace from the Ents, TreeBeard.

tree beard, it's not just adam and eve's offspring... many use the excuse that incest laws didn't exist in the very beginning because the law of moses hadn't been given... and  in the beginning there were no genetic abnormalities. BUT... just fyi since you are athiest and don't really care anyway, you're STILL right... even in the levitical law handed down from God to moses to the israelites, cousins were never, ever forbidden. in fact, during that time God even instructed moses to have zelophehad's daughters marry their first cousins. so yeah, the against the bible thing is the most ridiculous of all.

I've also heard, "Isn't it illegal?" Or "Wont you have a baby with three heads?" Or, "That's against the Bible."

Taboos die slowly or not at all. The best thing you can do is live your life and be happy. Don't try to seek approval from every Tom, Dick and Harry.

This stuff i hear so often its ridiculous. Also my aunt works with people with special needs, specifically with one young man who everyone, including her has "no disorders no nothing, its simply because their parents are first cousins" and then everyone proceeds to compare this issue with a local family who is children from a father/daughter relationship.

These things just get passed down. My aunt says these things, her children hear, they think its the way it is and teach their kids the same. In fact unless you go looking for it (like i did, thank god for this site) noone ever talks about the facts, just the things they've been taught. And unfortunately that is why the stigma hasn't died out

I dont believe at all....im married for my first cousin and have 3 kids already they are all normal and smart in school they always on top and in first section...both families accept us. Thats why were happy family...a know a lot of couple even in church wedding not succesfull inmarriage why? Some of them not contented to their wife or husband and in the end got divorce.

For me its not big deal to marry ur cousin the most important is both of u have faith in god have trust...loyal to each other and love love love thats the most important...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor