• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
KC

Could use some help

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

9 posts in this topic

Our google rankings have gone way down. I thought with the new responsive templates, we would be in business.

Anyway google has a new thing going, where you need to label the data on each page so it can better index it. I would like to do the main pages. What I am missing are images (required by google). They have to be jpg, png or gif and at least 160x90 pixels and at most 1920x1080 pixels.

I don't have a lot of time to work on this project this week, but if someone can find us some images (I don't care exactly what kind as long as they are fairly uniform and look professional). You could even just redo the title box for all I care (they would need to be bigger). I'm sure some of you have access to some great clipart.

If you want to help, holler at me. Take your time.

It is also possible to program it to answer questions on the google devices (ie Google, how far away is the moon?) We could program it to answer a cousin question, if asked!

I hope I am making sense. I have 10 things going on. It's finals for me. Class ends Friday and they are killing me with work! It's enough to drive a man to drink if it weren't seminary I'm attending :) I've given it all up! But I've never really been fond of sobriety. It's overrated. It just is.

even if i were good with graphics, i can't do it from my mom's computer. this thing is so slow it makes me want to throw it across the room.

questions though.... that would be a great one! like how many people marry their cousin? in the US it is estimated that one out of every 1000 marriages is between first cousins. we could even cite alan bittles on that one. or was it martin ottenheimer?

what's the historic numbers again? like 80% of all marriages worldwide since the beginning? better verify that one. bittles or ottenheimer again.

how risky is it to have a child with your cousin (or will your child have two heads?) first cousins have an increased risk of 1.4 to 2.8% above unrelated couples. 2nd cousins have no higher risk. we should find the name of the study published in jama by bittles and robin bennett. or we could answer that approximately 95% of all babies born to cousins are perfectly healthy, in comparison to 97% of babies born to unrelated couples.

is it legal to marry a cousins? it is legal in most countries and in half of the united states to marry a cousin. 

i think the key to programming the q/a is to word the answers in a way that highlights the positive aspects. we could also include a small list of famous people who have married their cousins, and another of biblical cousin couples.

Yeah it was about 80 percent historically, and still today in some places where it is odd to marry a stranger.

When I get done with this, we will have to work out some cool questions.

KC... are you talking about the non-forum portion of the site?  Let me see what we can do from our end to make it very "Google-friendly".  I'll hit you up on the admin side.

CM

Very cool! Since I use a main template for ALL pages, it should be easy to implement. And yes sir, the non forum portion.

Everyone, I have made quite a few changes. I am forcing the website to use https://www. format. This is new. I also added an exit forum button. I removed the survey that was accessible on the main page. It is buggy and poses a risk to the rest of the website. I also tweaked the google search on the home page. It seems to search the forum better than the built-in search.

Let me know if you see any problems.

What is the alerts button for and am I supposed to use it?  I have like 91 in it and don't know how to get rid of them. Or does it just keep adding up?

Computer illiterate that I am.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor