• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Serendipity

Final family Member Told About Wedding

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

5 posts in this topic

The final family member has been told about our upcoming nuptials: his dad.  It went about like we expected:

He mumbled "Wow" under his breath and refused to consider that anybody other than him has correct biblical knowledge.  He believes our relationship is a sin and thus there is nothing left to talk about on the matter.  I will say, that despite this disagreement, he still loves his son and their relationship is intact.

I just wanted to put this out there for those who are worried about family reactions to your cousin relationship.  My family has been warm and cold to my relationship with my 1st cousin and most of his has been wonderfully accepting, even offering to help plan the wedding.  But even if everyone rejected us and condemned us to hell, I would stay with this man for the rest of my life.  The fact is that what we have is wonderful, fulfilling and one of the greatest joys of my life.  I would not trade one moment of my time with him to appease anybody.  Not my children.  Not my siblings.  Not my mom. 

Everyone embarking upon a romantic relationship with their cousin must ask themselves, "Is this relationship worth it?  Am I a better person because of him/her? Am I happier?"  If the answer is Yes, (and neither of you are currently married), then you must continue to walk the path laid out before you.  Do your best to live at peace with everybody.  Don't be totally selfish if children are involved.  But walk life's path with the one whom you love. 

PM his mailing address to me and I will print out the page in Christianity and mail -- anonymously.

Funny, my love had the page in his shirt pocket and never pulled it out.  He could tell from his dad's reaction that it would not have done any good:  He believes what he believes and that's that.  I will talk it over with him and see what he has to say.

What I find ironic is that dad is no stranger to adultery.  So, something so clearly condemned in scripture he fails to recognize in his own life, but a non-existent prohibition against marriage he won't even consider he might be wrong about.

Maybe, just maybe, dad will be spurred to do some research.  After all, he does pride himself in being well-versed in all thing biblical....

Well if you like, "Brother KC" will give your dad a call. The "icky" part is just a social construct. Couples in other counties feel the same way about strangers -- "Why marry a stranger? Ick!"

I am fairly well-versed in the Bible myself. I think I could off a chat without making him furious. I can be cool and collective when I want to be.

We got to see dad over Christmas.  This was the first time I had seen cuz's dad in years.  He was cordial; the epitome of southern hospitality, but he definitely kept his distance.  Que sera, I suppose.  Cuz has decided not to invite dad to the wedding; he only wants people there who are truly supportive of our relationship.  Can I get an Amen?

Who knows how things will turn out between dad and us.  My guess is that the relationship will be friendly, but disingenuous. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor