Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Marla

Marriage

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

4 posts in this topic

We are Roman Catholic I was wondering if we wanted to get marry through our church is it possible? I could ask my church but I am afraid.

first cousins can get married in the catholic church provided they apply for dispensation. that usually means paying a fee that varies from one diocese to the next.

if you are first cousins once removed or more distantly related, then you don't even need permission from the church.

for more information, go here... https://www.cousincouples.com/?page=experts and click on the chat session with amy strickland, canon law expert. i would have linked directly to it but i thought you might find the other two chat sessions with other expert interesting as well.

Marla,

You didn't mention where you are, (and DON'T) but, as a mod I can have a little peek. So, where my look-up is showing you, if it is correct, then, no, you can't. You would have to locate to a State where it is legal. If you are first cousins, and where I'm showing you as being, you do not want to have a physical relationship either. It's considered a felony. You're not in what I consider the worst State, but, probably #2 on the list. If you have extremely deep pockets, and would spoil for the fight, you could probably get the law overturned. It is the most recent one to have been enacted, and, so far as I know, has never been challenged. I have a feeling, by the way it was done, it would only take a reasonably competent lawyer to prevail. But, in my book, it's drama you don't need. If you need a romantic weekend, just go to any number of neighboring States where marriage may or may not be legal, but physical relations are not a felony. 

That said, IF you DO locate to a state where it's legal, then, you will have to get a dispensation from the area diocese. No big problem, it shouldn't be an issue, but it will probably cost you a nominal "donation" to the diocese. From what I understand, it isn't going to break the bank. The Church will marry first cousins with this dispensation, provided it's legal in the jurisdiction where the marriage is to be solemnized. Here's where you find out which States allow it, (in green) and which allow it under certain conditions (yellow), and which don't(red). https://www.cousincouples.com/?page=states  Not all of the red States consider it criminal incest either. I think, but I'm not positive, the red States which DO consider it a felony now have that noted, and the statutes copied if you click on that State and get the pop up box with statutes. While I'm personally partial to Georgia, I hear Florida is real nice about this time of year. ;)

Best of luck to the two of you....

We live in Indiana. But if we were to get married let's say in México. Indiana would recognize the marriage right?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0