luckysgirl

Repetition of Love in Family Generation

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

5 posts in this topic

I am a newbie here in this website and I would like to raise a question regarding my relationship with my cousin.

1. What is the exact kinship I have with my bf/cousin who is a second cousin of my father?

2. My Aunt and my bf/cousin's Uncle were married, but unfortunately, we, as their niece and nephew were deeply in love and in a relationship as gf and bf.

Could we still continue our relationship?

I hope you could answer this questions and could talk further about this matter.

Thank you so much.

luckysgirl,

You haven't given us quite enough information to figure it out, M'Dear. I am confident, from what you have given us, that you are not second cousins. You could be anything from no blood relation at all, to possibly first cousins. (which I do NOT think is the case, if I'm wrapping my head around this correctly) I think you two are probably not actually any blood relation at all, and the only connection is through this marriage. You are kin by blood to your aunt, obviously. As is he to his uncle. Now, if these two had children, THEY would be both you and your bf's cousins, but, you two would not be any blood relation to each other. So, in effect, your bf is the cousin of your cousin(s), (if they did have kids) but not YOUR cousin. As long as your Aunt isn't also HIS Aunt, by blood, and was only his Aunt for so long as she was married to his Uncle, and because of the marriage, and the same applies to you with regards to his Uncle not being your Uncle by any blood relation, and was only your Uncle for the duration of the marriage, and because of it, then NO, the two of you are not actually any blood relation to each other. The only time I could see it getting overly awkward would be if you two decide to get married, and his Uncle and your Aunt were to be on the guest list, and not be able to enjoy the occasion without THEIR drama spilling into it.

Let us know if I've wrapped my head around this correctly, give us more information if I've not, and maybe me or some of the others here can figure it out.

Thank you so much for your reply and oh I'm sorry for not giving you complete detail about my situation

So this is why we're related:

Great grandparent --------->  (SISTERS)  <------- Grandparent

Grandparent                                      His Father and Siblings (His Uncle)

My Father and Siblings (My Aunt)                            My BF

Me                             

Our common Ancestor is my great grandparent and his grandparent. If I'm not mistaken.

you are second cousins once removed. although you are in the same family tree, there is not enough shared DNA to be considered related as it pertains to genetic defects. (2nd cousins share the exact same risk as unrelated couples when it comes to having children). so because of that you don't even need to concern yourself with any cousin relationships that have occurred further back in the family tree.

besides, the relationship between your aunt (his mom) and an uncle would be irrelevant anyway, unless that uncle was also your (or his) father.

luckysgirl,

Ok, NOW I get it. I misread the "second cousins" part, and thought you said you thought you two are second cousins. I knew by what you had given, that wasn't the relation. I see now with your chart that there is an, all be it distant, blood relation.

So, your Aunt was married to her 1st cousin once removed. If you know the details, was there any family drama when that happened? With the two of you yet another generation down the line, I would hope there would not be any in your case.

And, even though you didn't mention it, if they had kids, they would still be first cousins to both you AND your bf/cousin. That part I did manage to figure out, LOL.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead