• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reallovefromtheheart

Custody in Utah

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

2 posts in this topic

I am looking to find out if anyone knows the risks in Utah regarding cousin coupes and custody of their children from prior relationships.

My first cousin and I are 27 and have custody of our children from pervious relationships. We never thought we could have an actual relationship so we ended up in other relationships and with children of our own. However she has recently moved back after living in Wyoming for 15 years and we have rekindled our love and are working on our relationship. The main factor at the moment that is keeping us from moving forward is weather or not there is real risk involved in losing custody because  we are first cousins. The father of her daughter lives in Wyoming still how ever her daughter lives with her and she fully supports  her without any help from the father. Does anyone know if he can take her from her mother based on our relationship?

Your best bet is to speak with a lawyer concerning this.

Here is what I found on this site about the laws in Utah:

30-1-1.  Incestuous marriages void.

(1) The following marriages are incestuous and void from the beginning, whether the relationship is legitimate or illegitimate:

(a) marriages between parents and children;

(B) marriages between ancestors and descendants of every degree;

© marriages between brothers and sisters of the half as well as the whole blood;

(d) marriages between uncles and nieces or aunts and nephews;

(e) marriages between first cousins, except as provided in Subsection (2); or

(f) marriages between any persons related to each other within and not including the fifth degree of consanguinity computed

according to the rules of the civil law, except as provided in Subsection (2).

(2) First cousins may marry under the following circumstances:

(a) both parties are 65 years of age or older; or

(B) if both parties are 55 years of age or older, upon a finding by the district court, located in the district in which either

party resides, that either party is unable to reproduce.

Since you are not currently married, I would suspect that there is nothing that can be done about the custody, per your cousin relationship.  But I am no lawyer. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0