Jump to content
<?php echo esc_attr( get_bloginfo( 'name' ) ); ?>
Sign in to follow this  

Custody in Utah

Recommended Posts

I am looking to find out if anyone knows the risks in Utah regarding cousin coupes and custody of their children from prior relationships.

My first cousin and I are 27 and have custody of our children from pervious relationships. We never thought we could have an actual relationship so we ended up in other relationships and with children of our own. However she has recently moved back after living in Wyoming for 15 years and we have rekindled our love and are working on our relationship. The main factor at the moment that is keeping us from moving forward is weather or not there is real risk involved in losing custody because  we are first cousins. The father of her daughter lives in Wyoming still how ever her daughter lives with her and she fully supports  her without any help from the father. Does anyone know if he can take her from her mother based on our relationship?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your best bet is to speak with a lawyer concerning this.

Here is what I found on this site about the laws in Utah:

30-1-1.  Incestuous marriages void.

    (1) The following marriages are incestuous and void from the beginning, whether the relationship is legitimate or illegitimate:

    (a) marriages between parents and children;

    (B) marriages between ancestors and descendants of every degree;

    © marriages between brothers and sisters of the half as well as the whole blood;

    (d) marriages between uncles and nieces or aunts and nephews;

    (e) marriages between first cousins, except as provided in Subsection (2); or

    (f) marriages between any persons related to each other within and not including the fifth degree of consanguinity computed

            according to the rules of the civil law, except as provided in Subsection (2).

    (2) First cousins may marry under the following circumstances:

    (a) both parties are 65 years of age or older; or

    (B) if both parties are 55 years of age or older, upon a finding by the district court, located in the district in which either

            party resides, that either party is unable to reproduce.

Since you are not currently married, I would suspect that there is nothing that can be done about the custody, per your cousin relationship.  But I am no lawyer. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Create New...