• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Ahmad4421

Is cousin marriage corrupting?

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

This is one of 25 selected researches of the year in Canada. They found that cousin marriage corrupts societies. What do you think? Does cousin marriage harm societies?

Interesting. Nepotism is alive and well in the USA. Guess the number one factor that determines if one become wealthy.... drum roll... if their parents are wealthy, they are wayyy more likely to become wealthy. It's almost a prerequisite.

It is no surprise that there is more corruption in developing countries than in the Western world. There are a boat-load of factors, not just clans and cousin marriages. Their findings are dubious. Did they consider countries like Venezuela or Columbia? N. Korea? Trust me, all governments are corrupt. Some are just more successful at it than others. 

If they wanted much better data, they would not compare Middle Eastern Countries with Canada. That's like comparing Mars and Venus. The researchers should compare apples to apples; the population should all be within the same culture. What were they trying to find? Doing crazy comparisons between cultures allows one to come to any conclusion under the sun.

Cousin marriage could be just 'one' of the MANY factors to contribute towards corruption.

Anyway, his focus is too narrow (cousin marriage) but 'a sense of belonging' in general plays a major role in favouritism, it is in human nature. People who associate themselves to others or belong to the same home country, group, community or are even part of a diverse-team they are more likely to favour their group members over others. People who have strong ethics they are less likely to make biased decisions, kinship does not effect their decisions. 

This is my personal opinion :). In middle-east most people marry their cousins because of poverty. But, in western countries people who share same culture (from back home) favour each other over others. 

The research found that cousin marriages corrupts governments?  You could say that the research, such as it is, found a correlation between the two, but a cause?  I don't see the evidence.  Even a correlation between the two is not evident by what has been presented here.  Corruption in government is too complex to be narrowed down to one cause.  

I live in Canada and didn't know that they think like that.  Weird. Let's hope they don't find me corrupted 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor