Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Troubled

I never thought it would be this hard

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

7 posts in this topic

We've been together for a very long time, we're married and have a nice life together. We're first cousins. Most of the time it doesn't even pop up in my head, but then I'll hear a joke on TV or in a movie, or the other day someone at work was talking, they come from a big family and her brother was unknowingly dating a cousin, and she the group of people she was talking to started to laugh and it ended with "yup, they're just friends now hahahahaha."

I found myself wanting to say something but I just couldn't. Mind you these are also people who don't accept gay marriage either so I think in the end it would've been a waste of time anyway to try and talk to people like that but that's not the point the point is that I felt embarrassed and I felt very guilty for that.

American culture is soooo against cousins dating, it's always the butt of jokes and it's mind boggling to me but it makes it very hard on us. We live a pretty isolated life because of it, never letting anyone get too close just in case they find out. I'm sorry I'm not really sure what the point of this post was, just that I needed to vent a little, if anyone has any words of advice or just kind words it'd be nice to hear.

Thank you. 

I recommend a book that will help you deal with people like that.  It is called NASTY PEOPLE: HOW TO STOP BEING HURT BY THEM WITHOUT STOOPING TO THEIR LEVEL by Dr. Jay Carter.  It teaches you how to recognize controlling bullies and how to handle them in a positive way/  It is less than 70 pages and available from Amazon.

I used that book to change my way of thinking and changed my life to a happy and positive one.  I read it over and over until I really, really "got it"  lol

HUGS

Nat

Thank you Nat, I'm looking that up now. Dr. Carter seems to have some other very interesting books as well. 

Sometimes I wonder, it happened for interracial relationships as well as homosexual relationships, wonderful demonstrations of society moving forward as a whole. Do you think it will ever happen for cousin relationships? 

Just to make it clear: there is only ONE race:  the human race.  No such thing as a biracial relationship - only BICULTURAL!!!

As for cousin relationships, once the ignorance is recognized AND corrected, I think it will happen.

HUGS

Nat

Excellent clarification, that is definitely what I meant. I actually started reading Bill Nye's new book which showcases that exact point, I was simply using the common term, my apologies.

That is my point though, sometimes I don't think the ignorance will ever be recognized let alone corrected you know.

Sometimes it seems like instead of getting better with time it only gets worse and as hard as I look, with the exception of this site there is nothing anywhere out there fighting to stop said ignorance.

It's just disheartening at times. It seems like one of those things that instead of moving forward it's moving backwards, it used to be more accepted, now not so much. 

Thanks for talking with me :)

It is disheartening because you are focusing on negative thoughts from others.  Read the NP book several times and keep rereading it - you will find a change in your thinking and a shift to positive.  

HUGS

Nat

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0