Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest LauraT

Married cousins

5 posts in this topic

Have any of the married cousins here withheld the fact that they are cousins to the priest that married them? If so, what are your thoughts on that? 

The reason I ask is because I withheld this information from my priest when I married my second cousin. I feel terribly and I don't know if I should just confess. There is so much taboo on cousin couples that I just didn't feel comfortable telling the priest, and I feared that he wouldn't marry us.

don't worry about it. there are no laws in the u.s. that prohibit 2nd cousins from marrying, and there is no impediment in the catholic church (assuming by priest you mean catholic) against 2nd cousins either. the information is totally irrelevant. if you just feel you need to share the info with your priest, you can, but God already knows and has no objection, and that is ALL that matters.

congrats, by the way :)

One lady from this forum asked her priest (in Canada) if it was OK to marry her cousin. He responded with, "Yes I hope so; I married my cousin too!"

15 hours ago, LadyC said:

Thank you so much for your reply! The idea of entering into this marriage by not being forthright or completely honest about it to the priest just leaves me with a feeling of guilt. At the time I just thought "well, that's really non of his business, I love this man and that's that". I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that I didn't do something terrible!

you didn't do anything terrible! you didn't even do anything remotely sinful :)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0