Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest LT

Children

9 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

So my question is with regards to second cousins having children. I was wondering if there is an optimal age to be in, in which the possibility of risk is minimal. I had my first child with my husband (second cousin) when I was 24 years old and she is healthy and growing beautifully . We would like to have another child. I'm currently 28, and I was just wondering if there is less risk or cause for concern in having another baby now as opposed to when I'm in my early to mid thirties?

i believe the risk of down syndrome increase after the age of 35, and become even more risky after 40.

^^^^ But not related (no pun) to being second cousins!!

Ah, honey, have the babies when you're in your 20's!  I have a lot of friends who are my age (47) and have children who are in elementary and middle school and all I can think is how nice it is that my kids are in college and I don't have to do all of that driving around and monitoring them all the time.  I loved having my kids at home and being Mom, but I sure do enjoy this stage of my life.  I.m not sure I'd have the energy to do all that now!!

my mom was in her late 30s when she had me. i always felt like a freak growing up because my mom was closer in age to my friends' grandparents. and now that i'm a grandmother, i'm SO glad i had my kids in my 20s so that i'm still young enough to enjoy the grandkids!

Me too, LadyC!  My mom was 37 when I was born and I have a sister born 2 years after me.  I remember in high school thinking how much older my mom was compared to my friends' moms.  I also have a sister who is 18 years older than me!  

But I don't have any grandkids yet; hopefully not for another few years - after they have graduated from college!

i have a brother who is 13 years older. i kinda idolized him when i was a kid. my youngest daughter got pregnant in high school, so i became a grandma early. i have four grandsons and a granddaughter.... ranging in age from 2 to 10.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0