Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LT

Children

Guest LT   
Guest LT

Hi Everyone,

So my question is with regards to second cousins having children. I was wondering if there is an optimal age to be in, in which the possibility of risk is minimal. I had my first child with my husband (second cousin) when I was 24 years old and she is healthy and growing beautifully . We would like to have another child. I'm currently 28, and I was just wondering if there is less risk or cause for concern in having another baby now as opposed to when I'm in my early to mid thirties?

LadyC    94

i believe the risk of down syndrome increase after the age of 35, and become even more risky after 40.

Serendipity    68

Ah, honey, have the babies when you're in your 20's!  I have a lot of friends who are my age (47) and have children who are in elementary and middle school and all I can think is how nice it is that my kids are in college and I don't have to do all of that driving around and monitoring them all the time.  I loved having my kids at home and being Mom, but I sure do enjoy this stage of my life.  I.m not sure I'd have the energy to do all that now!!

• Upvote 2

LadyC    94

my mom was in her late 30s when she had me. i always felt like a freak growing up because my mom was closer in age to my friends' grandparents. and now that i'm a grandmother, i'm SO glad i had my kids in my 20s so that i'm still young enough to enjoy the grandkids!

• Upvote 1

Serendipity    68

Me too, LadyC!  My mom was 37 when I was born and I have a sister born 2 years after me.  I remember in high school thinking how much older my mom was compared to my friends' moms.  I also have a sister who is 18 years older than me!  

LadyC    94

i have a brother who is 13 years older. i kinda idolized him when i was a kid. my youngest daughter got pregnant in high school, so i became a grandma early. i have four grandsons and a granddaughter.... ranging in age from 2 to 10.