Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Please read before you become a member!

2 posts in this topic

This is a quick guide to becoming a member here, and how to ensure your anonymity while registering here, or on any public forum. I am not trying to scare anyone or discourage anyone from becoming a member. On the contrary, I want you to register as a member here, but I would also like you to be an informed member, indeed an informed Netizen -- a citizen of the web.

In general, it is a good idea to stay fairly anonymous on public forums because these forums are "crawled" by search engines. Everything you post will be captured by Google et al. (except for private messages). Thus, if you use your real name to post on a forum, anyone may search your name and come up with every post you have ever made on every website, including Google will now even capture your avatar. If you use a real picture of yourself, it may show up with a Google search as well.

So, make up a "pen name" for your registration and upload an avatar that is not your real picture. Of course, we do have members here who use their real names and real pictures. That is good and fine, but this is a guide for those interested in staying anonymous.

Please keep in mind that you should assume that everything you post, even on Facebook will be permanently stored somewhere. Certain government agencies probably copy and store every bit of this information before the actual website you are sending it to gets it. So, it doesn't matter if you delete a post or private message, somebody somewhere has a copy of it.

This site uses SSL (HTTPS) to ensure that all of your communication to is encrypted until our servers receive it. In theory, nobody can eavesdrop, even at coffee shops, hotels or any public Wi-Fi service.  But that does not stop some governments from recording the encrypted data. Perhaps at a future date they will be able to decipher it. If they can do that now, they will not disclose that fact, so we do not know how secure SSL really is. I'm betting that it hasn't been broken yet. Further, many of these agencies have backdoors to Facebook, Microsoft, Skype et. al. They very well may have our private communications in unencrypted plain text/ VOIP or {shutter} web cam movies.

In light of the information above, it may be prudent to not share personal identifiable information, like the name of your cousin or your grandparent's name. If you request that certain posts be deleted, please give us the actual URL of the post. We may or may not delete your posts.

For additional security, I suggest the following products:

Secure email (very secure email):

Password manager (cheap and very good): LastPass, or StickyPassword

Please note that you may be blocked (or "harassed -- prove you are not a robot ...") from this website and others (incl Google) if you are using a VPN or TOR. We request that you use only you real IP while using this forum.

Security starts with very good virus and malware protection (I don't have a favorite) and OS updates. Also, there are some antivirus programs that scan your computer for outdated software which is a great idea. Also make sure any personal information is sent over an https connection. If you are at a website that wants credit card info or log-in information, and the site starts with http:// instead of https:// then leave immediately. You can also try to insert the S and see if that works on unencrypted websites. A  FEW websites are fine to be unsecured, for example They do not offer an encrypted connection at the time of this writing.

I hope this has been helpful! Now, please go sign up. It takes a lot of our time to approve guest messages. Members' messages posts automatically. This is one good reason to have a password manager -- so you can keep up with all of the passwords. If you don't have a password manager, install one today. Here is a comparison chart:,2817,2407168,00.asp of top password managers.

Please understand that the admins here are tech experts. We can track down anyone who is abusing children, and will go out of our way to do so. Any information obtained will be given to the appropriate law enforcement agency for prosecution. This is a family website and even the hint of child exploitation will quickly get you unwanted attention. Please read our "About This Website" page for our stance on child abuse.

Let me explain the 6 main member groups:

Admins: Owners / Tech People / We started the website and we run it

Moderators: can delete, approve, move, ban and do all the things that make the board run smoothly. They really make this forum possible.

Newbys - Less than 5 posts

Members - Once you reach 25 posts, you may delete or edit your message up to 48 hours after they are posted. Then you will have to contact a mod or admin for help. Everyone else can delete, hide, or modify their post anytime. We have seen too many people ruin the boards by deleting their topis and replies just because they got an attitude.

Advanced Members: When you reach 50 posts, you gain more privileges

Senior Members: When you reach 150 posts, you gain more privileges

Old Timers: When you reach 300+ posts, you can moderate the chat room and have the most privileges that any user has. There is even an Old Timers forum you will see become available to you.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0