Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KC

How many believe cousin couples are becoming more and more socially acceptable?

Question

Are folks in the Western World becoming more or less accepting of cousin marriages... say within the past 25 years.

3 answers to this question

i don't think so. in spite of how gay marriage is being embraced, and how many people defend things like pedophilia or incestuous relationships all in the name of love, mention cousins and the world goes up in arms. look at how robi ludwig, psychologist, had to recently contact us to remove her chat transcript from our site because she was losing work, just for having counselled cousins! 

Western media potrays cousin relationships as a sick joke and they are hardly shown at all. The public  focuses too much on the ick factor and the potential genetic defects within offspring produced by cousin couples. Even my medical record shows my marriage to my cousin as an ongoing health issue. I don't think the Western world is becoming more accepting of cousin couples. It would be legal in more states if it was!

Right LadyC.  People are very supportive of open relationships and polygamy - but mention cousins falling in love and you'd think that Florence Foster Jenkins had been nominated for a Grammy award.  Ghastly!