• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
KC

How many believe cousin couples are becoming more and more socially acceptable?

Question

Are folks in the Western World becoming more or less accepting of cousin marriages... say within the past 25 years.

5 answers to this question

i don't think so. in spite of how gay marriage is being embraced, and how many people defend things like pedophilia or incestuous relationships all in the name of love, mention cousins and the world goes up in arms. look at how robi ludwig, psychologist, had to recently contact us to remove her chat transcript from our site because she was losing work, just for having counselled cousins! 

• Upvote 1

Western media potrays cousin relationships as a sick joke and they are hardly shown at all. The public  focuses too much on the ick factor and the potential genetic defects within offspring produced by cousin couples. Even my medical record shows my marriage to my cousin as an ongoing health issue. I don't think the Western world is becoming more accepting of cousin couples. It would be legal in more states if it was!

This is a difficult subject for me to answer without all up in arms because it gets me a little angry, to be honest. Everywhere you have the gay pride flag waving around...and gay marriage, to my knowledge, has never been legal in US history until a few years ago for everywhere. You have pedophilia that's trying to gain acceptance and there are people/groups that will actually defend pedophilia, saying Pedophiles are just like the LGBT in wanting to love who they love...*eyeroll* Then you have cousins....cousin couples were actually in the bible! Unlike Pedophilia....it's not sexually exploiting and taking advantage of children.....yet it's still looked at as disgusting and vile? Pedophilia's still looked at as disgusting and vile...and it's still against the law, which it always was and always should be. Polygamy and open relationships are celebrated. These are different groups trying to fight for the right and privilege to love and be accepted for who they love(Pedophilia never will, it just can't fly) Why can't that be cousin couples again? At one point in history, it was legal all over the US....but at some point down the line, states started making it illegal...I guess out of concern for how future generations would turn out. It just irks me though....why are is the LGBT being made legal and...well, I don't know what to say about pedophilia....and cousin couples are still looked at by the social circle, the media and legally as 'ick'? To me, this is so unfair....I have trouble comprehending it. So, to answer your question KC...I don't think so. For some reason, the western culture still considers this taboo and seem like they don't even want to acknowledge it or treat it like any other issue. It has to be hush hush and kept under the rug like it's something to be ashamed of.

• Like 1

Right LadyC.  People are very supportive of open relationships and polygamy - but mention cousins falling in love and you'd think that Florence Foster Jenkins had been nominated for a Grammy award.  Ghastly!

• Upvote 1

Well... in my country, Hellas (Greece), it was the 7th degree of relation the «safe» limit to «enter» such kind of relationships. In other words, second cousins were not allowed to get married, unless there was a valid reason for this and only under the permission of the bishop. Though the influence of the church has decreased over the hellenic society during the last 40 years (which is bad in my opinion), many people still believe that marrying your second cousin is kinda sick or illegal. The Hellenic Orthodox Church having realised the progress of Genetics (priests despite the blame, they don't live on a planet other than Earth...) has hopefully changed the terms and conditions about the church marriage (those actually that have to do with biological relation issues). I can't recall this now when this happened (late 70s or early 80s). It is certain that both the national legislation and the religious rules have changed since many years but not the way people handle the issue. In past years a second cousin marriage here was -let's say semi-legal- but as Hellas wasn't that urbanised many people, especially in the rural areas and villages, were exerting pressure to the local priests in order to marry their second cousin. Though the country has been totally urbanised in 80s and afterwards, though the laws have changed (the limit now is the 5th degree- that is you can marry your first cousin once removed), lots of people consider that marrying your cousin is something bad. And yes, marrying your first cousin is still forbidden.

Unfortunately, we witness everyday symptoms of social decline in the name of the «human rights» (aka political correctness), sexual freedom and so on but marrying your cousin is still regarded to be bad. No, i don't want cousin marriage to be fashion, life-style, or part of culture as it is in other countries or areas (Middle East, etc) but i would expect a more fair approach by people and politicians. Cousin marriage is not definitely for all of us, but cousins who love each other and want to make a family are normal people and they don't commit a crime. This has to change but i don't see this happening.