Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KC

Question and Answers Forum

6 posts in this topic

I just added a fun (I hope) board called "Questions and Answers." The answers will be rated until the best answer is found. The forum software supports this feature and I thought we would at least try it out! So please go participate!

The Old Timers forum is back, but nobody has enough posts to qualify! We lost a bunch of messages somewhere.

If you were in the Old Timers' forum on the old board, drop me a PM! I will change your posts to meet the requirements.

LadyC,

I just read you and your husbands story. I'm very happy for you both. I do have a question for you though.You said you researched in the Bible for something saying "thou shalt not marry your cousin" or something to that affect. And you said that you found the opposite. At any rate, would you mind sharing that scripture with me please? I think it might help me in my situation. My first cousin has recently revealed his feelings for me. My first thought and feeling was to jump in with both feet. And I am an overthinker by nature. I think reading the scripture will help me with my part in this. Thank you so much for sharing your story with all of us. I hope to someday be able to share my story with all of you as well.

the first thing i ran across was the story of isaac and rebekkah. like mark and i, they were first cousins once removed. abraham sent his servant in search of a bride for his son. the Bible describes how the servant prayed a very specific prayer as to how he would know who God had chosen for isaac... and God immediately answered every detail of that prayer:

12 Then he prayed, “Lord, God of my master Abraham, make me successful today, and show kindness to my master Abraham. 13 See, I am standing beside this spring, and the daughters of the townspeople are coming out to draw water. 14 May it be that when I say to a young woman, ‘Please let down your jar that I may have a drink,’ and she says, ‘Drink, and I’ll water your camels too’—let her be the one you have chosen for your servant Isaac. By this I will know that you have shown kindness to my master.”

15 Before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder. 

you can read the rest of that story in genesis 24. and then as i continued to study further, i discovered the story of zelophehad's daughters... five orphaned women whom God instructed Moses to have them marry their first cousins. there are a number of other instances of cousin marriage in scripture in our info>religious>christianity section accessible through our menu at the top of the forum.

leviticus 19 has a complete list of all forbidden marriages. cousins are not among those forbidden. it even specifies who is a person's CLOSE relative. cousins are not. the nearest scripture comes is saying that a man shall not marry his aunt, because his aunt is his father's close relative and it would dishonor his father. so only direct ascendant/descendant relatives are Biblically defined as "close kin", although aunts are still off limits.

hope that helps!

LadyC,

Thank you so much. I'm sure that this will help. Have a great weekend.

Edited by blue.eyedgurl1
hit the wrong button. lol

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0