Meadows

My Cousin Life In A Big Nutshell... Sorry...

Hey, I'm a male approaching the age of 16 and I've been what feels like in love with my cousin (female also approaching the age of 16) for as long as I remember. 

So I posted on this site on New Years I believe (2016 for future readers) on a separate account, but I forgot what is was, so I'm just gonna restate what was in that post into here and ramble on about facts that probably don't matter to the overall issue. Anyways, I mainly talked about how I used to see my cousin all the time, but then it dropped to 4-5 times a year. Fortunately, it's once a month now. Once we both went into puberty - which mainly hit around 7th grade - we stopped talking to each other as frequently until we just didn't talk at all. Once our entire family (on my mom's side) decided to have weird get togethers every month earlier this year, my cousin and I started talking more frequently unless my other cousins (my mom's brother's kids, my cousin crush is my mom's sister's daughter) are around - because they kill the mood and are really awkward and weird. I'm basically saying I can't speak to her unless we're alone.

One time when we were walking to her house from the get-together thing, I brought up the fact that we never spend anytime together like we did years ago. She agreed and we exchanged numbers (I never got it before because I think it's awkward to randomly ask for people's numbers with no context). However, when I texted her if she wanted to do some stuff (whatever people do with their cousins in public), she didn't respond ever. The next time I saw her, I mentioned her not responding to my text in a joking manner, so she laughed. We went into this whole discussion on how since neither of us can drive legally ourselves, there was no point in doing anything because our parents were always too busy to drive us anywhere. (We live half an hour away from each other). I also found out from her that she just lays in bed all day because she has no transportation to go anywhere.

i also mentioned in my forgotten post about my cousin, her sister and my aunt making jokes about me being a "ladies man" every time I hugged my cousins. I don't know what they're trying to imply because I've never told anybody about my attraction to my cousin, so they can't possibly be referring to that to make fun of me. My aunt even said during last year's thanksgiving that my cousin and I would make a cute couple. Again, I've never told anybody about my feelings for her, so the only two reasons I can think of that she would ever make such a comment out of nowhere is: 1) My mom somehow found out through possible iCloud search history crap and told my aunt so she could tease me, or 2) My cousin has feelings for me and my aunt was teasing her. My cousin did go completely silent after my aunt made that comment and looked away from me entirely... So...

They're all just really confusing me because they're VERY religious, and the way they keep saying things like that doesn't really correspond to their religious following (Christianity, I don't know which branch... Just Christians). I, however, am not religious whatsoever even though my family has no idea about that. Although I recently found out my grandparents are step-brother and step-sister because their parents married after they did, and my parents are plausible distant cousins because of something they discovered on ancestry. So I'm not sure if asking my mom for her counsel would be good or bad, because she's partially strict in religion but laughs a lot when I make incest jokes about my grandparents, and her and my dad.

To top this whole cousin love off, I keep having uncontrollable dreams of my future daughter's childhood and teenage life. I wish I was joking about that, but no. I actually dream about the far future and having a daughter. But it doesn't stop there, of course. My hypothetical imaginary dream/nightmare daughter looks exactly like my cousin except with my hair color.

So after all of that, my question is this: How do I confront my cousin (and maybe even my strange aunt) about this without outright saying I'm in love with her? And is there a way to cure myself of my weird daughter dreams? And is there some other advice I could have regarding the extra information I gave? Thank you so much to anybody who bothered to read.

Meadows,

I can't say exactly what your relatives intentions are when they say those comments about you. I do think you are reading too much into it, just let it go for now.

As for your cousin and your feelings for her, there really isn't much to do in terms of trying to conceal your feelings while confronting her about hers. You can try asking hypothetical questions to test the waters; ask her how she feels about cousins getting together. If she doesn't like the idea don't press the issue further and leave it at that. If you get the feeling she is ok with the idea go into more specifics, like asking her how she feels about you. Keep going from there until you get to admitting your feelings. If she rejects you don't worry. You are still very young and you have your whole life ahead of you.

As for your dreams about your hypothetical daughter, dreams have a weird way of telling us what's on our minds and this issue definitely is weighing heavily in yours. Telling your cousin how you feel may help you "control "them somewhat.

Guest Whatdoido

Hey i read your post and my advice is if you have such strong feelings about her when you get old enough to drive and hang out with friends ask her to come along get to know her better that will help you judge how she is. Eventually make plans with her alone to do something you both have in common because so and so bailed on you. Once you both are alone and you are comfortable if you feel like she has dropped hints in the direction you feel confront her about it. Maybe not directly but bring up how your aunt says those things about you two. Or about the grandparents. If nothing comes of it and she shows that she isnt feeling you in the way you are her it may easy your wandering mind some. Possibly give you releif from constantly not knowing. 

And I agree with the post above about your dreams.  Its your subconscious weighing heavy on this dilemma.  I hope everything works out for you!

On 9/10/2016 at 0:58 AM, Meadows said:

They're all just really confusing me because they're VERY religious, and the way they keep saying things like that doesn't really correspond to their religious following (

I don't really don't understand this point.  Does their Christianity prevent them from teasing you about dating?  From cousin marriages?  Neither of these things are prohibited in Christianity, so I'm really not seeing what your objection is.

That aside - you are waaaaayy overthinking things.

To confront your cousin implies a conflict - I don't think that's what you want.  Transportation is an issue for you, unless public transit is available, so dating one another could be difficult.  My advice is to simply start chatting with her - call, text - try to get to know her.  Then maybe once you have established some kind of rapport and you have earned some way of getting around, the two of you can start doing things together.  But seriously, you need to relax dude.

As for the dreams, once you are not thinking of your cousin so much, those dreams will go away.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Anonymous8
      I'll keep the explanation brief but I'm an 18 year old girl who had a pretty traumatic past. My parents were both alcoholics, and my father, although he was present for my life, didn't really take up the whole "father" role, if that makes sense. This will become important later.
      My cousin... He's a few years older than me and we've always had this sort of connection, of sorts. It was always PERFECTLY innocent, he and I were two of the most intelligent of the cousins, we both had the same sarcastic kind of humor... we just sorta "got" each other, all through our youth. 
      It sounds goofy, but he was our gardener. Let me explain. Our house had a crazy gopher infestation, and he, being 16 or 17 at the time, was eager to earn a few bucks, and had a knack for gardening. My mom would pay him to come over and help us. Remember how I said that my childhood trauma would become important? Well, my cousin was my stability through most of it. Where most if not all of my male representatives in my life had failed me, he was what "normal" was. Him being around the house so often made me feel safe, like I was protected. Kinda stupid in hindsight, considering we were both children, but hey. I think my crush started way back then. 
      Our family, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc, do NOT gather all that often. But when we do, we are just so drawn to each other. Thanksgivings, while the rest of the family would be in the kitchen talking and drinking, you know, having general merriment... we'd be in the living room, talking, or sitting in silence. It was that kind of thing where even if we weren't talking, you could tell that we were comfortable enough just being around each other. Particularly last Thanksgiving, there was a point where I felt comfortable enough to finally talk to him about all the crazy crap that happened when I was young with my parents and the abuse. I felt safe. And he listened, told me how strong I was and how I hadn't deserved to go through all of it alone. I felt SO safe, and warm, like I was finally home. And that's something that's so hard for me to feel, it's impossible to ignore.
      Now, here's the thing about my cousin. He's a man of very few emotions, or, at least, he doesn't show them very often. But even all the aunts, uncles, and grandparents know that he's always been very protective of me. We tend to read each other's emotions like a book. We were both raised in a pretty straight-laced, Christian environment and are both still of the faith, and because of this, cousin/cousin relationships are pretty taboo. I know chances are that he doesn't feel the same way about me. But I think that I DO harbor some pretty serious feelings for him.
      These feelings became pretty evident, actually, when I met up with my mother a few weeks ago. We had gotten lunch, and I talked about my cousin and how I was so glad that he had been there for me through the hard times, something like that. My mom said, and I quote, "(Cousin's name) is a great man. Really. What a shame that he's your cousin." And my heart stopped. My first thought was "Sh*t! She found me out!" Then I started thinking, "Wait a minute, is that her way of giving support?" And that's really the incident that led me to questioning my feelings and finally ending up at this point, writing this post. Here I am. In love with my cousin. And I'm confused, alone, and scared. 
      I have a lot of questions that hopefully those in this community could help me answer. For the longest time I had tried to push down these feelings, so forgive me if my questions sound a bit obvious or whatever. 
      Is there any way to gauge whether the cousin in question returns these feelings?
      Is this something that would be easier to ignore and forget about?
      Are the whole "cousin couples are bad because genetic deformities happen in their children" thing really as severe as people say? 
      Is there something wrong with me?
      Thank you guys in advance for your responses, I really hope to hear from some of you. Any advice is appreciated. 

• By Deku
      Im new here. So where to even begin. This feeling of emotion is too strong right. Anyways
      So its all begin last december. I saw my distant cousin (the family tree is complex but she is defintely like a 7 or 8 cousin.) But so it had been quite a few months since i last saw her. (She lives about 3 hours away so i only get to see her 3 or 4 times in a year). But when i saw her this december. Everything seemed different. I just dont even know how to describe that feeling. And before you ask my age is 19 while she is 18. So back to the story.
      So she came with her family and stayed for 3 days. The moment she walked in that feeling i felt was unusual because i did use to see her before and i had no feelings like this. This was different. I dont even know what to call this love because it was so intense. So nothing really happened after that other then me hanging out with her and her staring quite a bit at me and as well as being playful with. (Bear in mind. She did not do this before as whenever she came she just hung around my other girl cousin and sister and we didnt even talk on social media). So time flew and she went back and i saw that on the final day she was quite sad because i think she didnt want to leave. Also this time she didnt talk to my cousin and sister a lot and instead it was me and her talking and the usual stuff. 
      So one day went by and i was feeling quite depressed because i was missing her quite a bit. So i texted her and then since then we have talked everyday without missing a single. As we have a lot in common such as interests and hobbies. The texting was quite prolonged and as this progressed my feelings went through the roof. This was our first time texting as before we didnt really click. Now that i know so much about her. I just want to be with her and protect her and make her happy as much as i can. I just think about her 24/7 everyday and it makes sad thinking that it might not work
      Well i know my story wasnt too eventful but here is the question. Do you think she likes me? 
      Other the staring and being playful with me. With regards to text. I am getting some mixed signals so first when i text her about like actresses or any other girl. I get weird responses like lol and ok then. I feel like she doesnt want me too talk about other girls to her. Also she has told me about literally everything about herself and half of the things even my sister doesnt know. So i assume she does trust me a lot from. And there is this other thing. I once told her i liked girl with short hair upto the shoulders and what you know after a week she cuts her hair to that length. Also we literally never end our texting. It just keeps on going. Whether day or night. Also we both compliment each other quite a lot and she is quite shy so i cant expect her to make the first move. 
      So to end. What do you think i should do. I obviously want a relationship and i already know my parents or her should not say anything but i dont know how to tell her. 
      Sorry for a long story but had to get it off my chest somewhere so i could have some peace.
      Thanks for any replies
    • By Essex
      There is this my nine years younger girl cousin...four years ago when she was 14 and i was 23 she always had this strong eye contacts and laugh hysterically at my chessy jokes and all the signs that she really likes me but at that time i wasn't interested at all ofc coz she was 14 for god sake ...we rarely meet at family gatherings...till recently i really have a strong crush on her for like two years...she grew up and i think we switched roles...but don't know if she likes me or just getting more mature to hide her feelings...we are both very shy btw...but still she gets nervous when she sees me and i catch her with few eye contacts..till i made whoopie up one night and was drunk and got the courage to tell her that i like her..she got really nervous and thought i was joking...then later i told her it was just a mistake (more made whoopie up)...later on everything is normal...we meet at gatherings..simple talks...she get nervous and clumsy when she sees me...i started texted her...this where all this get so confusing...she reply very late with short texts..so i stop..and text her later..same late uninterested replies...then i stop..
      Dont know if she likes me and tries to avoid me coz of her excessive shyness...or just can't take the fact that she has a crush on her nine years older cousin (she is a little westernized) and think its disgusting regardless of her feelings...or if all of this is just illusions in my head and her teenager crush was just a period and went away...but i just think of her all the time..should i let her go out of my head or take a more wise approach?!!!...help!!!!
    • By breanne
      So 17 and i'm from New York. I went to Colombia for about 2 months to visit family that i haven't seen for years. I used to live in Colombia when I was younger but I moved to the United States when I was about 4. When we were children, my cousin Lucas and I were best friends... but that was 13 years ago and we haven't spoken since. Anyways, my first week in Colombia, I shared a room with my cousin. it was just a small room with two twin sized beds and we each slept in one. We had stayed up all night talking and playing games we remembered playing as kids. We then started talking about our memories together and he brought up one that i could never forget; The day i kissed him when we were kids. We both started laughing and we started playing thumb wrestling. I won and he then asked me if I remembered why I had kissed him when we were young. I said "no," and he told me "you got so excited about beating me at a thumb war that you just grabbed my face and kissed me,". I started blushing and I looked down at our hands that were still holding onto each other although the game was over. I brought his hand up to my lips and kissed it softly and he smiled. We realize it was already 4am and we each got into our beds but continued talking. I asked him if he was cold and he said yes, so I got out of my bed and walked over to his and put another blanket over him. He told me I was sweet and that I should crawl into his bed to warm him up. I laughed and about 5  minutes later, I took his suggestion and we were both laying underneath the 4 blankets on his bed. We just cuddled all night and talked until 7am when we heard our mothers walking around the house and I went back to my bed and we fell asleep.This was the start of it all. The following night we went star gazing and we kissed. We were inseparable throughout the rest of my trip. He made me feel so alive. one night our family went out for dinner and a show and i got pretty drunk and afterwards we went for a walk. We smoked a little bit and he made me feel so safe. he held my hand he made me feel so calm even though i'd normally feel paranoid while that intoxicated. I was so high but everything with him was so clear. I told him I loved him and he told me he felt the same way. I've never felt this way about anybody but him. I know that I am in love with him. Anyways, we were basically in a secret relationship for two months and we even had sex. It was both of our first time. I don't know what to do because I just left two days ago and I miss him so much. Im going back to Colombia in four months to visit again and my mother has been considering movie back there which I would be 100% on board with. I love it so much more there and I genuinely feel at home.It would also be so nice to live closer to Lucas. I really don't know what to do. We were both in relationships, but I broke up with my boyfriend (for unrelated reasons) before i got intimate with my cousin. My cousin is still with his girlfriend but he told me they aren't that serious and that it's temporary. We've decided to keep this all low-key for now because neither of us are sure about how serious we should let this get. Also our parents always joke about us being in love with each other because of how close we are and I honestly dont think they would be that surprised if they found out about our feelings for each other
    • By Yankeeshakes4313
      I'm going to share and express my thoughts about cousin marriages... Stay tuned... Good subscribe to Sage Nation.... The episode will come in two weeks... I'm going to start my podcast again on Thursday March 15th.... Please subscribe and support my channel