Meadows

My Cousin Life In A Big Nutshell... Sorry...

Hey, I'm a male approaching the age of 16 and I've been what feels like in love with my cousin (female also approaching the age of 16) for as long as I remember. 

So I posted on this site on New Years I believe (2016 for future readers) on a separate account, but I forgot what is was, so I'm just gonna restate what was in that post into here and ramble on about facts that probably don't matter to the overall issue. Anyways, I mainly talked about how I used to see my cousin all the time, but then it dropped to 4-5 times a year. Fortunately, it's once a month now. Once we both went into puberty - which mainly hit around 7th grade - we stopped talking to each other as frequently until we just didn't talk at all. Once our entire family (on my mom's side) decided to have weird get togethers every month earlier this year, my cousin and I started talking more frequently unless my other cousins (my mom's brother's kids, my cousin crush is my mom's sister's daughter) are around - because they kill the mood and are really awkward and weird. I'm basically saying I can't speak to her unless we're alone.

One time when we were walking to her house from the get-together thing, I brought up the fact that we never spend anytime together like we did years ago. She agreed and we exchanged numbers (I never got it before because I think it's awkward to randomly ask for people's numbers with no context). However, when I texted her if she wanted to do some stuff (whatever people do with their cousins in public), she didn't respond ever. The next time I saw her, I mentioned her not responding to my text in a joking manner, so she laughed. We went into this whole discussion on how since neither of us can drive legally ourselves, there was no point in doing anything because our parents were always too busy to drive us anywhere. (We live half an hour away from each other). I also found out from her that she just lays in bed all day because she has no transportation to go anywhere.

i also mentioned in my forgotten post about my cousin, her sister and my aunt making jokes about me being a "ladies man" every time I hugged my cousins. I don't know what they're trying to imply because I've never told anybody about my attraction to my cousin, so they can't possibly be referring to that to make fun of me. My aunt even said during last year's thanksgiving that my cousin and I would make a cute couple. Again, I've never told anybody about my feelings for her, so the only two reasons I can think of that she would ever make such a comment out of nowhere is: 1) My mom somehow found out through possible iCloud search history crap and told my aunt so she could tease me, or 2) My cousin has feelings for me and my aunt was teasing her. My cousin did go completely silent after my aunt made that comment and looked away from me entirely... So...

They're all just really confusing me because they're VERY religious, and the way they keep saying things like that doesn't really correspond to their religious following (Christianity, I don't know which branch... Just Christians). I, however, am not religious whatsoever even though my family has no idea about that. Although I recently found out my grandparents are step-brother and step-sister because their parents married after they did, and my parents are plausible distant cousins because of something they discovered on ancestry. So I'm not sure if asking my mom for her counsel would be good or bad, because she's partially strict in religion but laughs a lot when I make incest jokes about my grandparents, and her and my dad.

To top this whole cousin love off, I keep having uncontrollable dreams of my future daughter's childhood and teenage life. I wish I was joking about that, but no. I actually dream about the far future and having a daughter. But it doesn't stop there, of course. My hypothetical imaginary dream/nightmare daughter looks exactly like my cousin except with my hair color.

So after all of that, my question is this: How do I confront my cousin (and maybe even my strange aunt) about this without outright saying I'm in love with her? And is there a way to cure myself of my weird daughter dreams? And is there some other advice I could have regarding the extra information I gave? Thank you so much to anybody who bothered to read.

Meadows,

I can't say exactly what your relatives intentions are when they say those comments about you. I do think you are reading too much into it, just let it go for now.

As for your cousin and your feelings for her, there really isn't much to do in terms of trying to conceal your feelings while confronting her about hers. You can try asking hypothetical questions to test the waters; ask her how she feels about cousins getting together. If she doesn't like the idea don't press the issue further and leave it at that. If you get the feeling she is ok with the idea go into more specifics, like asking her how she feels about you. Keep going from there until you get to admitting your feelings. If she rejects you don't worry. You are still very young and you have your whole life ahead of you.

As for your dreams about your hypothetical daughter, dreams have a weird way of telling us what's on our minds and this issue definitely is weighing heavily in yours. Telling your cousin how you feel may help you "control "them somewhat.

Guest Whatdoido

Hey i read your post and my advice is if you have such strong feelings about her when you get old enough to drive and hang out with friends ask her to come along get to know her better that will help you judge how she is. Eventually make plans with her alone to do something you both have in common because so and so bailed on you. Once you both are alone and you are comfortable if you feel like she has dropped hints in the direction you feel confront her about it. Maybe not directly but bring up how your aunt says those things about you two. Or about the grandparents. If nothing comes of it and she shows that she isnt feeling you in the way you are her it may easy your wandering mind some. Possibly give you releif from constantly not knowing. 

And I agree with the post above about your dreams.  Its your subconscious weighing heavy on this dilemma.  I hope everything works out for you!

On 9/10/2016 at 0:58 AM, Meadows said:

They're all just really confusing me because they're VERY religious, and the way they keep saying things like that doesn't really correspond to their religious following (

I don't really don't understand this point.  Does their Christianity prevent them from teasing you about dating?  From cousin marriages?  Neither of these things are prohibited in Christianity, so I'm really not seeing what your objection is.

That aside - you are waaaaayy overthinking things.

To confront your cousin implies a conflict - I don't think that's what you want.  Transportation is an issue for you, unless public transit is available, so dating one another could be difficult.  My advice is to simply start chatting with her - call, text - try to get to know her.  Then maybe once you have established some kind of rapport and you have earned some way of getting around, the two of you can start doing things together.  But seriously, you need to relax dude.

As for the dreams, once you are not thinking of your cousin so much, those dreams will go away.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By mohammed.hussain
      i am 22 years old and am studying medicine at imperial college london. i have a cousin who is studying dentistry in london as well she is 21 and is extremely hot and kind and caring and generous and smart. we are first cousins and our fathers are brothers, however they dont have a good relationship. i first started getting these feelings when i was 17 and we were both studying our a levels in the same subjects so we grew closer as we spent a lot of time together. over time i fell in love with her and think the world of her. the only thing i wish for is to get married to this girl and have children with her. she and my mother spend a lot of time together and are really good friends who get along with each other. my father also gets on well with her, so my parents would approve of her. i dont know what to do, from what i have witnessed i think she is interested in me too and is attracted to me but im not 100% sure. we text and as we both live in london in student accomodation she texts me and asks if i want to pop over to her place and spend some time together so i visit her regularly and she loves spending time with me, i make her laugh and we talk for hours on end, sometimes we would just talk for 4 or 5 hours straight. we both get on with each other and are perfect for each other. however there is a lot of dispute going on between our families over land in pakistan. however this hasnt affected our relationship and my cousin still gets on perfectly fine with my family. i havent told anyone yet and dont know what to do. should i wait until the dispute is over and tell her and my parents? or should i persue a private relationship with her now? i dont know what to do. help me.
    • By Taylor
      Hello!
      So here it goes, I have a cousin who lives in the US, she’s half american half filipino. She’s 14 years old and I’m 23. I finished my bachelors degree in nursing. I don’t have a boyfriend as of now(by choice). It came to a point that we became really close with this cousin of mine, we talked about problems, family , dreams, anything under the sun. Until we came into a point when she started kissing me, I was shocked! And acted that it never happened since we promised each other not to do it again. Days have passed until I got really drunk, we sleep in the same bed, I closed my eyes, and she started kissing me, really hard. I was really dizzy and tired at that time so I just let her, Until she touches me below the belt and I said stop, the next day she was embarrassed with what she did and acted like it was a dream so I confronted her, until she said sorry. I told her that I won’t let that thing separate us, and I forgave her and put everything behind. I also told her that I am willing to do it over and over again so that she will not feel guilty because I dont want to lose ny cousin. I did exactly what she did that night and ended up doing it over and over again. We asked our selves if it’s right. She told me it’s not, but its not wrong either. What we did is a choice we both consented. 
       Is it wrong? Is it immoral? We’re pretty surewe’re straight, but why do we keep on doing this? 
       Am I inlove with my cousin?
    • By nora.gris
      Ok so I'm new and I really need an advice because I'm so confused.
      So my cousin lives in another country (where my parents are originally from) so we really didn't have that much of a contact besides summer, bc we go to visit our family.
      I'm born and raised in an european country, where I currently live.
      A few years ago, when we were preteens, it was the last time we met (before this year) and we didn't even talk, he now says it was because he was shy. Obviously we know each other since we were little kids and we would always play together and have fun, but as we grew up, we started falling apart and didn't talk at all when we visited them. I had this little feeling for him but I always wanted to hide it, because I grew up in Europe, where marriage or romantic relationships between cousins is seen as incest even though it's legal, but still, it's a huge social taboo.
      So fast forward to this year. I'm 19 and he is two years older than me. We are young adults. Keep in mind that all this years I was trying to make my own life and we didn't have any contact at all.
      So we go on vacation there and we meet. Throughout the whole journey we didn't talk that much. I was really nervous but I also didn't want to create any sort of relationship between us so I kept it polite but I still was kind of playful, if that makes sense. Oh let me tell you that in this country, marriage between cousins is very common, and normalized, so in that aspect we don't have any problem.
      Ok, so the thing is, then he got my social media and when I went back to my country, we started talking. He wanted to know whether I was in a relationship or not and we started knowing each other really well for the first time. After a few weeks he asked me if I liked him or if I could like him one day, because I previously told him I didn't want any relationship with someone from the family. I told him yes and we continued to talk (everyday for HOURS till we go to sleep) and just know each other.
      As a person I really really really like him. He is such a nice, sweet, funny and open-minded person. I was NOT expecting it. We talk every day and we talk about everything. Physically I am very attracted to him, since forever actually. And he also likes me. He even told me that he sees us together forever. 
      Now here's the problem. I'm so afraid about what people will say.
      But when I start to analyze things, it's not even that deep. My family will probably 100% approve it, as I told you it's very normal for us in our culture. My friends, they were a little surprised at the beginning when I explained it to them, but quickly went to tell me that I should do what I felt and they are really supportive and encourage me. Legally, it's totally fine and legal in the country I live and basically throughout the whole continent. So the only problem I have is my fear and my thoughts about what others will say.
      The thing is both of our fathers are brothers, so we have the same surname. In the country I am from, married women don't take their husband's last name, so if people see we have the same surname they will definitely notice we are related. Also, kids take both surnames, from the father and the mother, so technically they will have the same surname TWICE.
      I mean, I know it's the most stupid reason I could come up with, but I really care about what other think about me or us in this case, and this is really destroying our, let's say, happiness, because I'm constantly thinking about this and can't seem to get over it.
      I really like him, I actually think I feel way more for him than just like him and whenever he messages me I become the happiest person on Earth. But I'm constantly seeing comments of people saying it's incest, it's wrong, it's disgusting, bla bla bla and it makes me really confused and uncomfortable.
      Once I arrived to the point of saying, you know what, I can't continue with this "relationship", I'll just block him everywhere but something kept me off from doing it. 
      I really thought of just hiding it and not tell anyone about it, I mean the fact that we are cousins, but they will eventually find out one way or another, and that terrifies me.
      What should I do? He will get tired of this at the end, because he tells me repeatedly that we shouldn't care about what others think but it's not easy to do it when you live in a society where for loving someone you're considered weird and mentally ill.
      If you arrived till here, thank you and I hope to hear from you. Kisses 😘
      Nora 
    • By MadMax007
      Hello all, thanks for stopping by. First off, thanks for all the great advice, stories, and posts on here, and special thanks to the creators and admins. This has been bugging me for a while, and I was so glad to discover this place, I really felt welcomed and moved by some of these stories, but most of all, hopeful. I truthfully am a forum noob, and have never really posted anything on a public board before, much less this topic. The reason I started this topic is because most of the threads I came across seemed geared to very young people, and while other posts did offer some insight, I decided to try my luck here, hoping for a more custom tailored response, respectably. 
      Straight to the goods then. I'm 'Andy' and soon to be 35, she's ‘Cindy’, in her 40s, and we are both single and 1st cousins. I have had a crush on her as far back as I can remember, our families were close when we were kids, and often spent weekends together. Because of our age gap at the time, her being a rebel teen who idolized Madonna and me with my Transformers and GI Joes, we were not very close. We hung out like average cousins, nothing special. Over the years she was always close to my thoughts, plus we stayed in touch on social media, but again noting special. Fast forward a little over two decades, during which we would occasionally see each other at large family gatherings, but no major contact beyond that. Next time, it was special, it felt different. Recently, for an outdoor family reunion, it just so happened that we were seated together and we practically spent the whole time chatting exclusively. I really love to make her laugh and I was doing just that, and so was she. Every now and then I'd get from her, what was probably a wholly innocent gesture, an arm touch and smile. I still refuse to read too much into this, this is uncharted waters and I know better than to treat it like the average crush. At one point during the party, a relative approached us and exclaimed to my cousin Cindy, "oh my, I thought this man was your boyfriend!" Our mutual relative was a little surprised when she realized it was me, but did not make a big deal or read too much into it. This made me back off, obviously my body language or a combination of ours both suggested we were a couple to anyone who did not know better. Cindy's reaction was amazing though, smiles and blush galore, she didn't even make an "Eww face" at the remark. Anyway, since then we have been texting occasionally, every other day, very short conversations because I know she is busy and a single mother. I remember one text she wrote, "I miss you." We exchange our problems and offer advice. On more than one occasion she mentioned how she just wants to be with a nice guy who accepts her, and how hard it is for her to find someone, I responded truthfully, that I'm pretty much in the same situation, looking for "Miss Right" and all that. We even spoke on the phone briefly, this is where it escalates a tiny bit.
      Here is where it gets good, but really scary for me. This Saturday we have a date, for lack of a better word, or more accurately dinner and a movie. Yup, I went for it and she said yes! Holy holy crap! What do I do? I kind of have the evening planned, dinner at a nice restaurant, but I'm hoping to sub the movie with something romantic, like somewhere with a nice view of the city. I really just want to talk with her and spend time alone, and gauge her feelings a bit more. Anyway, I am out of my element here. I'm hoping someone reading this has been in a similar position. I am totally patient and would rather something happen organically on her end, than me trying to force it and be selfish. I would love tips for our date though, I will be myself of course, but I’m wondering if there’s little things I could say or do to hint at my romantic interest in her. I'm kind of nervous and don't want to make a fool of myself. 
      I have strong feelings for Cindy. She's amazing in terms of her fortitude, strength, and outlook on life. She is beautiful inside and out, she makes me laugh, and is always on my mind lately. A part of me believes we don't choose who we fall in love with, and it's not often a girl makes me feel this way. There's definitely some magic there, I just can't tell if its of the romantic kind or not. 
      Any advice from people who have been in similar situations, and my age group would be preferred, but all thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly in advance!

Andy
    • By Nokia
      So my first cousin and I didn't grow up together but over the years we've built a relationship through letters he's in prison right now I've always felt like he started with me but I've never really been sure. He would ask me to send him pictures before he went to prison via cell phone, he was married then so I didn't think much of it I just figured because we hadn't seen each other in a while that he wanted to have a picture of me. I didn't feel the same way at first but I flirted with the idea because of the way that he made me feel I didn't feel like anything was wrong with it I honestly and I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of thinking of him sexually. I know for a fact that our family would not approve but lately he's been writing me letters and he always calls me gorgeous and he always tells me I'm beautiful and he wrote me in my last letter about the way my shirt showed my physique and that it was enticing. I don't want to confuse him being incarcerated with him having feeling because I know sometimes people say anything behind bars especially men who haven't seen women in a while but I can say that I felt him flirting with me before this the feelings have just seem to get deeper since we've been writing each other more. I want to express myself because it's killing me to know that someone that I have these feelings for I might not be able to be with but if I feel like he feels the same I wouldn't have a problem expressing myself I'm just not sure so I'm asking in regards to what I should do on my end with my feelings in the situation. I genuinely love him so even if he was repulsed with the idea I wouldn't just leave his side while he's going through this part of his life I genuinely was helping because I wanted to help a family member and I didn't expect to feel the way that I do. It feels impossible that I'm the only one that has these feelings and it's not perverted. I just understand him and I know he understands me please help me