Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest lissa

is it legal?

5 posts in this topic

My cousin and i have been seperated for sometime now but were in a relationship . I just got a divorce from my ex after 6 years of seperation. My cousin resides in oregon & i in California. We want to get married. I know we are unable to in oregon, which is where i will be moving in a couple months, after my cousin tells his family we are together. My ex husband knows of my cousin relationship & says its illegal incest ect & i wont be allowed to see my child if im with my cousin but in court he brought it up but nothing was said of it because there was no proof that were together as of now. My question is, if we got married in California would oregon reconize it as a marriage? My other question is, is it legal to be in a relationship with my cousin in oregon or is it a class c felony? Im not sure if my cousin is first or half cousin. Ethier way im in love with him and we have been together for 5 years.

i'm not sure. YOU can marry in california and then move to oregon and it would be legal... but since he already lives there, i don't know if he could legally marry in california. he needs to check ith a family la attorney in oregon to be sure. it appears from the way it is worded that it is only null and void if performed in oregon. but still you should get that verified.

and no, it is not a class c felony. that only applies to ancestors (parent, grandparent, etc) or descendants (child, grandchild, etc) and siblings.

(but, others are going to point out, i'm not an atty so my advice is worth what ya paid for!)

I see, i was tripping that it could be a class c felony. Ive been with my cousin for 5 years and i finally got my divorce taken care of and custody.my cousin, He is ready to tell his sisters of our relationship in November. Than im moving in with him. My side of the family has known & i kinda had a dispute with one my sisters and brother but they got over it finally. 

So its legal to live with your cousin etc.?  Im not to worried about it, more worried my ex willmake a big deal out of it & try make it so i cant see my child.

Since you are dealing with a spiteful ex, threatening court action, you should seek the advice of an attorney.  I don't think your ex has a leg to stand on since you're not married to your cousin (But I am not attorney) but once you are married, he may be able to cause all kinds of trouble (Again, this is just my 2 cents worth of unlawyerly advice).  But if there was even a remote possibility that I could lose custody of my kids, I GUARANTEE I would do everything in my power to hedge my bets and fight my battles.   

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0