• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Bbb

Please help

4 posts in this topic

I know the topic of this site is for cousins but in my research it appears that my situation is the same level of blood relation.  Long story so I'll try and make it short. I am the half sister and have fallen in love and live with half brother"s son (we share a dad). So I'm with my half nephew. Upon looking this up it appears we are 1/8 related just as first cousins. Is this correct?  We live in Georgia and it looks like they allow first cousin marriage. What I've found the Georgia law reads that it's illegal of the whole or half blood up till it gets to aunt/nephew uncle/niece  then it does not state whole or half. So does that mean we would be legal bc it doesn't say ? We need to know what to do bc his ex has found out and is threatening to take his son away and I also a a child.  Does anyone know?  And not that it probably even matters- but I was not raised in the family and he wasn't either. Hell we didn't even know each other existed till we were adults. We met knowing that we were related but we never had that family history. From the day we met we both gel something that's an insanely intense connection and we have not left eachother since that day. So how does adoption affect these things? Ppl wouldn't even know. We had just found out we were related and we fell in love basically on sight. Also, if we crossed state line where we can legally marry (I think Rhode Island-?) does Georgia have to recognize it? Especially during custody battles?  I appreciate any help or info. The research has us going in circles. 

We are not lawyers here and can't give legal advice.

But the best advice I can give is that you should consult with an attorney. If the first one you choose doesn't

suit you, find another. Most give a free first consultation.

I completely understand about not giving legal advice but I was hoping to get clarification on stuff if people had the information and maybe had already had the info explained to them better. But I appreciate your feedback. 

bbb, it's just not something we know anything about. your situation isn't unheard of, but it's very rare (at least here on the forum), and not something any of us here know anything about. definitely seek the advice of a lawyer that specializes in family law. even if you have to pay for it, it would be worth the peace of mind that comes from knowing the answer.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0