• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
ConphusedCousin

Validity of my cousin marriage

2 posts in this topic

Hello Friends,

I married my first cousin (mom's sister's daughter) 10 years back in India where it is perfectly legal and recognized, now I moved to New Hampshire. I read that NH does not allow first cousin marriages, does it mean it invalidates my marriage which was done in India while I am in NH? Or is the law applicable only for new marriages?

Suppose a person gets married in a state where it is legal say MA and moves to NH, does his marriage remain legal in NH?

Kindly clarify.

theoretically the law ONLY applies to marriages that would occur within that state. to my knowledge, no state has ever nullified a marriage that has taken place in any other jurisdiction, and especially when that jurisdiction is a completely different country. i don't think you have anything at all to worry about. your marriage is binding and legal in the country of your origin. i don't think the US even has the authority to ever object to that. especially as India has a high percentage of muslims living there, right? in our current climate, the US would never do anything to offend a muslim, and there are a lot of muslims in this country... many of whom i'm quite certain are married to their cousins.

you could always check with a family law attorney in your state, but i think he'll tell ya the same thing.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor