Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Brent

Is This a Mistake?

3 posts in this topic

When I was in college, I secretly dated my cousin who was still in high school. We were discovered, and as she was three months below the age of consent in our state, I was prosecuted and convicted of statutory sexual assault. Seven years passed with no contact, then I received a letter from her in the mail. We began talking, which escalated to spending time together and we eventually both decided to resume our romantic relationship. Her family despises me, assumes I'm using her and wants me to have no contact with her, despite the fact that she's a legal adult and it's not their decision.

Is there any point to trying to be with her? Am I setting both of us up for unhappiness? Is it better to end the relationship so that she might stay on good terms with her family?

you're both legal adults now.... they don't get a vote in your love life. if she's willing to take the heat from them, then ya'll should put each other first. ya know, i didn't like who my daughters married either, the first time. one daughter ended up divorced and marrying a wonderful guy the second time around. the other daughter is still with her husband. they have three children. he's grown up and become a really wonderful husband and father.  and i say all that to point out that i'm not just voicing my "i married my cousin" opinion, but to point out that i also had "my children are marrying idiots" opinion. i got over it. 

hers will too.

On 10/15/2016 at 0:02 AM, Guest Brent said:

Is it better to end the relationship so that she might stay on good terms with her family?

No, not necessarily.  As you get to know one another again, you may want to keep things hush-hush.  But if it becomes apparent that the two of you want a serious relationship with one each other, then why would you sacrifice your happiness for anyone else?  I would not make waves at the onset of your renewed relationship, because cousin factor aside, new relationships are always tenuous and you just never know how they are going to work out,

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0