• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Guest 30 year wait

Oh, Tn and Marriage Law oh my

Guest 30 year wait

I and my cousin met for the first time and fell in love at age 15 and 16.  He was my first love and it was very innocent.  Our parents found a letter he wrote me and we were given the riot act.  Horrible disfigurements for our children, banished from the family etc.  My parents not his.  I am not even exactly quite sure how close we are.  Anyway after all this time we led  separate lives had children with other people and road the rollercoaster of life eventually getting divorces.

We connected two years ago and it was like we were never apart!  We will never be apart again.  So funny now kind of as both our sets of parents are sill alive and absolutely fine with us as well as the entire family go figure.  I just have some questions I really need help with. 

We share the same grandfather but not the same grandmother.  My grandmother died and our grandfather remarried.  So are we half first cousins and considered first cousins and banned from getting married in Ohio? Or are we genetically second cousins and can get married anywhere in the country?  Next question, if the first cousin rule is true and we get married in Tennessee will Ohio honor that marriage?

Most of our family are alive and live in Ohio and Indiana.  We live in Ohio and really do not want to move.  Please help?  As our family is accepting of our relationship or just gave up I don't know but we want to have a happy fun wedding with all invited.   Would make it a lot simpler to have it in Ohio.  Thanks so much this is a great help.

My wife lived in Ohio and I in Maryland when we married. Maryland has no limitation on marrying a cousin and Ohio has to honor the marriage. We chose a place (Frostburg) in between her children and mine. You can marry in any state that allows cousin marriage. I am not sure how Ohio could not honor it; we're married.