Guest Abby

Getting pregnant with your first cousin

Guest Abby

Can anyone help me im with my cousin for 8 years and we really want a baby is it a good idea im just scared of anything happening 

There are other options for having children as well! My husband and I have chosen to use a sperm donor and IUI. Genetic counseling can help determine your risk factors. Talk to your doctors, don't jump into such a big decision; you want to feel confident that you did the best for your child

Guest Abby,

I was very scared when I found out I was pregnant with my first cousins baby.  I was so afraid I would give birth to a baby who had defects.  After discussing with my Dr. about why I was concerned about the pregnancy, he told me, I could have a normal & healthy baby like any other woman.  He did the normal tests that you get done while being pregnant and everything was fine in my case.  I gave birth to a very healthy 8lb 3.5 oz baby boy.  To this day, we have a normal, healthy 40 year old.  :-)

I would suggest you talk with your Dr. first and see what he/she thinks.  I am quite sure blood tests can provide the information needed so, you can decide what course of action you and your cousin should take with having a child.  

Wishing you all the best.

I wouldn't talk to my family doc. There is no telling what kind of advice he/she will give you. Opinions run the gamut in the medical community. You should read Forbidden Relatives or contact a member of the NSGC (https://www.nsgc.org/). 

Personally, I would not bat an eye unless something in your family history needs to be looked at. All the best to you.

As someone who has brought up this topic with doctors, I agree with KC that what a family doctor will tell you can be unpredictable, and often rooted in prejudice. One doctor seemed surprised but fine, but when I told my obgyn, she was obviously repelled, started treating me very differently, and tried to push me into getting an extremely expensive genetic test. I showed the test to my brother, who is in medical school, and he said it tested for a number of extremely rare genetic diseases (e.g., one that has only been see in 300 individuals in a closed Eastern European population, which is not part of my ancestry), and that it didn't test for thousands more that were more likely to be a problem. Do keep in mind that any genetic testing you have done is unlikely to be covered by your health insurance.

The more you know about the genetic history of your family, the better off you are. Studies published on birth defects of the offspring of cousin couples have usually been in populations where this is a common occurrence, meaning the chance of birth defects is compounded over generations. Basically, if your ancestors also married their cousins, there is a higher chance of a recessive defect emerging. However, even in these studies, the chance of a birth defect is pretty low. 

It is an increased risk to have a baby with your cousin, but less of a risk than any woman over 35 having a baby. Whatever you do, make sure you do your research and have as much information as you can to make an informed choice. And good luck!

No, not with that fact alone. If you are being investigated and charged with incest then who knows.