• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
RIVA

Leviticus 18:6

* Opening a new topic for this, but not sure if it has already been answered.

My mom, (probably the one who will be most "devastated" about me and my first cousin dating), is the one who will need more "convincing" in the religious view that cousin marriages are not forbidden...

She knows that it is not forbidden anywhere in the bible (or at least mentions it) and she has stated the fact that in the early days of humanity, it was necessary the marriage between close relatives in order to increase the number of people in this planet (as god commanded it to Adam and Eve). But, she claims that since then we have been getting more and more corrupted and that reflects in our genes, (we get old sooner, weaker, there's a lot of evil in this world...)

But she still has the concept in her mind that cousin marriage is an abomination same as homosexuality (not a homophobe, just what god accepts or not), and I am pretty sure she will bring the paragraph from Lev 18:6 and not move forward to the next ones, meaning that the next verses are just examples.

And will not accept the fact that CM are allowed nowadays, due to there's a lot of people in the world, there are 7.4 billion people, why choose your cousin?

Even if CM were mentions to be forbidden in the bible, the main issue would be that the offspring could have genetic defects, right? If that's the case, my cousin and I have we both decided separately that we are not having kids, not of ours, not of anybody else´s, (we just happen to share that view and we both have our reasons), and we there's even more "conflict" with us not wiling to reproduce to the eye´s of pretty much every body. So, if genetic issues is the main problem then, we have nothing to worry about. 

I am not making any questions, just putting some thoughts out there. Thank you for reading if you reached this far.

You have pretty much figured it out.. :) You know what though, your post reminds me of my situation too. :) It is exactly like what you have posted.. my mom, her thinking and everything. 

Pooch

LOL those next verses aren't examples. they are the definitive list defining close kin. but unfortunately getting people to change their minds and believe that is easier said than done.

On 17/2/2017 at 8:47, pooch dijo:

You have pretty much figured it out.. :) You know what though, your post reminds me of my situation too. :) It is exactly like what you have posted.. my mom, her thinking and everything. 

Pooch

Well, it is a very common belief, I guess, specially among christians.

On 17/2/2017 at 19:59, LadyC dijo:

LOL those next verses aren't examples. they are the definitive list defining close kin. but unfortunately getting people to change their minds and believe that is easier said than done.

Right! People usually only use what is best suited for them (bible verses related). But if the bible is the "main reason" on - why you should not date your cousin - then there is really nothing to discuss, as it says absolutely nothing. 

Edited by RIVA

On 2/21/2017 at 10:03 AM, RIVA said:

Well, it is a very common belief, I guess, specially among christians.

Right. But in my case, I am still trying (or hoping?) that I can persuade her to change her mind if ever I tell her who I love. I haven't told her anything yet but whenever I give hints here and there...and even bringing up a topic that is closely related, and even the closest one is some sort of possibility of happening that I love my cousin, the reaction was quite adverse. And so it scares me and would tell myself that I can just "fight another day"...

Pooch

here's the thing, too. and i don't know if your mom is a woman who lives her faith or just gives it lip service, so i'm not criticizing her specifically. but in general, people who don't stand up for God's law when it comes to other issues don't have the right to use the Bible to point fingers. especially since their fingers don't know what the Bible says to begin with.

On 4/4/2017 at 14:19, LadyC dijo:

here's the thing, too. and i don't know if your mom is a woman who lives her faith or just gives it lip service, so i'm not criticizing her specifically. but in general, people who don't stand up for God's law when it comes to other issues don't have the right to use the Bible to point fingers. especially since their fingers don't know what the Bible says to begin with.

This! I totally agree but, even tho my mom does go to church every week and participate in a few activities, she's the type of persons who says "do as I say not as I do, learn from my mistakes" which is O.K.

yeah, thing is, we (humans) don't learn well from the mistakes of others. we have to make our own! but cousin relationships aren't necessarily mistakes. they CAN be, but not because of the kinship.

On 4/4/2017 at 1:19 PM, LadyC said:

I think she does lives her faith. She is not a nominal Christian. Far from it.

It's just that these are not the types of issues that is tackled in the church where I am meeting, know what I am saying? I do believe that if pointed out to the fact that the Bible is okay with cousin marriages (I mean not even 'okay' but even have many examples of it), she will affirm it. However, the initial shock will be like, "Really? Does the Bible really say that?" (with a puzzled look). know what I'm saying? lol.

Pooch

On 4/13/2017 at 7:25 PM, LadyC said:

yeah, thing is, we (humans) don't learn well from the mistakes of others. we have to make our own! but cousin relationships aren't necessarily mistakes. they CAN be, but not because of the kinship.

I say a big "Amen"! :)

It's just that it is so closely related that cousin relationships becomes victims of "guilt by association". 

Example:

1. The New Testament does not explicitly says it; therefore, it is seen with suspicion.

2. The higher rate of possible birth defect; therefore, it is not the right thing to do because of the consequence.

3. Lots of cousin relationships ended up breaking up and splitting families; therefore, it is wrong.

4. It is very rare occurence in the church (at least where I am meeting); therefore, it is seen with much suspicion. (as if I am the first one who will do it and will give the precedence to subsequent decisions...)

Those are only from the top of my head...

Pooch

have you spent time personally studying scripture on the subject and getting real with God in prayer over this to seek His will? because if you have, and you have peace about this, then that's the only "opinion" that counts. and if those you go to church with know you to be sincere in your walk with God, then that should be enough for them. 

once upon a time we had a cafe press store for this site. we had a couple of cute little items that said "if God is our judge, the get out of His seat!"