• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KC

Aussie cousins please respond

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

5 posts in this topic

Hi KC, thanks so much for the chat before ? sounds like your website has helped a lot of people, and I was certainly very glad to come across it for our research!

As I mentioned, we?re really interested in speaking with cousin couples here in Australia. If there?s any way you could put the word out, that would be much appreciated. You don?t by any chance still have contacts for the couples featured in this program do you?  I?d love to speak to them if possible. http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/360/kissing-cousins/3985158.

Below is a short introduction about the program for you to share around, or if there are more direct ways you can think of putting me in touch with people, it?d be much appreciated. Sometimes general shout-outs get a bit lost in the internet ether! We?re recording our program on October 23, so trying to contact people as soon as possible. Thanks again so much for your help on this.

?SBS TV?s Insight program in (www.sbs.com.au/insight) is producing a show about cousin couples. We?re urgently looking to speak with couples in Australia about their experiences. Have you faced stigma or opposition from family or friends, or have they been very accepting? Where have you gone to for support? Do you have children and did you and your partner get advice from a genetic counsellor? Insight wants to explore the taboo around cousin marriage in some communities, and look at the reasons why other communities have embraced it. Please contact [email protected] or 02 9430 3843. All conversations can be confidential and off the record.?

Have a good evening, cheers, Elise

Come on Aussie cousin lovers. Here is a good chance to get the word out there for everyone's benefit. It sounded like she wanted to do a balanced show. I think Prof Alan Bittles (sp) will even be there possibly.

They may be looking for an American too, to talk about the laws here.

Any Aussie cousins want to get involved in a possible TV exposure. The program is called Insight. http://www.sbs.com.au/insight/

Any word on this organization?

SBS stands for "Special Broadcasting Service". It's a government funded (but independant), multicultural broadcasting organisation whose primary audience are ethnic minorities in Australia. The documentaries that SBS produces are usually credible and unbiased.

I didn't catch all of this program but what I saw was interesting.  Some cultures encourage marriage within the family and this does not necessarily increase the risk of birth defects in children.  Aussie law allows marriage between first cousins. 

Maybe all couple should all have extensive genetic testing before having children in case they carry dominant or recessive genes that might cause disabilities in their children.  How many non-related couples do this?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0