• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eduardo

Marriage

Guest Eduardo   
Guest Eduardo

Hello my name is Eduardo. I was just wondering if it is legal for first cousins once removed to marry in Illinois? Our familes keep on claiming that I am her uncle because I am her mother's first cousin, but that doesn't make sense to us. If it is legal, do you have any recommendations of Roman Catholic churches that will marry us? Our regular priest says that God doesn't allow cousins to marry, and therefore he won't marry us . Thank you for you're help.

Serendipity    68

I don't know about the laws in Illinois, but I do know that you need to tell your priest to read his Bible and then come back and show you where the cousin prohibition can be found (He won't be able to find it, becuase IT'S NOT THERE!).  Personally, I think you should keep the cousin factor under wraps when looking for a priest.  Unfortuanately there is a lot of prejudice in the arena within the Catholic Church.  I don't know why a priest - or anyone else for the matter - would need to know.

LadyC    98

we have a webpage in our info section that lists all the state laws. you can look it up... but then you should verify that our information is still correct. you are first cousins once removed if i remember correctly, you can marry there only if one of you is sterile. as for your priest, it's irrelevant if you can't marry. but FYI, FIRST cousins (and ONLY first cousins) are required by the catholic faith to apply to the diocese for dispensation for marriage. that means you pay the church a fee and fill out some paperwork and then they give their blessing. it's all about the money. that being said, since you and yours are first cousins once removed, you are not under that requirement. if your priest won't marry you, find one that will. or marry outside the church. because under canon law, you are permitted to marry. and it's not even something you ever need to bring up to a priest in the first place, because you are not first cousins. the catholic church has no jurisdiction over that.

still, the state does... and i think you're not able to marry in that state.

• Upvote 1

MissPrice    19

If Lady C is correct that you can't marry in IL, you might look into the possibility of marrying in another state and seeing if IL will accept it. I say that because my husband/first cousin and I couldn't legally marry in Ohio, but Ohio recognizes marriages from other states even if those marriages couldn't legally take place IN Ohio... so we got married in TN.

It's a headache for sure, good luck!

Guest Aaron   
Guest Aaron
On 6/8/2017 at 4:32 PM, LadyC said:

we have a webpage in our info section that lists all the state laws. you can look it up... but then you should verify that our information is still correct. you are first cousins once removed if i remember correctly, you can marry there only if one of you is sterile. as for your priest, it's irrelevant if you can't marry. but FYI, FIRST cousins (and ONLY first cousins) are required by the catholic faith to apply to the diocese for dispensation for marriage. that means you pay the church a fee and fill out some paperwork and then they give their blessing. it's all about the money. that being said, since you and yours are first cousins once removed, you are not under that requirement. if your priest won't marry you, find one that will. or marry outside the church. because under canon law, you are permitted to marry. and it's not even something you ever need to bring up to a priest in the first place, because you are not first cousins. the catholic church has no jurisdiction over that.

still, the state does... and i think you're not able to marry in that state.

I am not completely sure, but on your state laws page it says it is legal. It states that first cousins once removed need to be over 50 or sterile. However, it says that first cousins once removed are allowed to get married.