• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alex

Illinois

Guest Alex   
Guest Alex

In the "state laws" page it states that Illinois prohibits marriage between cousins of the first degree, unless they are sterile or over 50. Does anyone know if this also applies to first cousins once removed? Thank you 

Hawk    29

Alex,

The standard disclaimer first, and then we'll see if we can parse this out. We are not lawyers, and do not give legal advice. Now that we have that out of the way, let's try to determine exactly what the language says. In the statute, it says "or cousins of the first degree". I would need LadyC or one of the others to correct me if I'm wrong, but, I believe 1C1R's would be considered further than 1st degree. I am not sure at all on the "degree" thing. I did look up all the statutes for the States which in one way or another prohibit cousins, and there was some updating that occurred at that time, a little over a year ago. There is a list of States where 1C1R's are allowed, but, I don't have time to see if Illinois is on it at the moment.

All of that said, being in Illinois myself, I'll tell you what I would recommend. LEAVE. I'm hoping I'm going to get a call for work out of this screwed up State today. I recommend Georgia, others will recommend other States like Florida. I'm also getting pretty partial to Tennessee, having traveled there extensively last year for work and pleasure. Plus, TN and FL have no state income tax, which, unless you've been under a rock, you will know has just went up 32% here in Illinois. I personally am going to try to make my money at a less hostile rate. I have a home which is paid off, and I have no intention of selling, and this will always be "home." But, as for the $$$, it's elsewhere brother.....js. Last one out, turn off the lights..........LOL:lol:

p.s. Upon taking the time, IT WOULD APPEAR that 1C1R's ARE allowed in Illinois. Look on the State laws page: https://www.cousincouples.com/?page=states

As you scroll down, you will see a section showing first cousins (blue) and 1C1R's (pinkish) prohibited. You will note Illinois in the "blue" but not the "pink". Standard disclaimer still applies, as does my further advice.......;)