Emma_1

Am I more than a fwb for my cousin?

Sorry for the long description but I need some advice.

My maternal first cousin recently had a bad separation. His ex cheated on him and broke his trust. Although he told me he doesn't want anything to do with her anymore I think he hasn't moved on completely yet. The reason I say this because I've accidentally found her picture in his wallet.
Anyway, so I met my cousin after 7 years. We had a thing 7 years back but that didn't last for some reason. Now, that I met him again the spark started to return.  We both are deeply attracted to each other and sexual tension is massive. As we didn't want to be in a relationship for a reason we agreed to be fwb. 
I lost my virginity to him and the sex was freaking awesome. He just LOVED sex with me. The sex had always been passionate and hot. He's obsessed with me. He had always wanted to make love to me. He even told me I turn him on like he never thought was possible and to him I was irresistible. He even said he never felt this chemistry with anyone else. I had given him massive turn offs at times yet it didn't stop him from wanting me. Not to mention he genuinely cared a lot about me. He loved taking me out and spending time with me. Used to get offended if I didn't join him while eating. And felt twinge of jealousy if I talked to other guys.
I ended the fwb relationship with him for a reason and told him. He was deeply hurt, I could see a certain pain in his eyes. He reluctantly agreed without wanting to know the reason. And from that day he has become aloof and distant. He still cares about me and talks to me but he's toned down. 
Is it how fwb supposed to feel when the relationship is over? Why is my cousin behaving like this? He's a very experienced man and compared to him I am a novice who can't even give a proper bj, what's so sexy about me that used to turn him on like crazy?

Edited by Emma_1

So, to summarize: you stopped having casual sex with your cousin who was on a rebound from a bad breakup, and now he's distant. I would say yes, him being distant is pretty normal in a situation like that. What kind of relationship do you want with him? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MissPrice said:

So, to summarize: you stopped having casual sex with your cousin who was on a rebound from a bad breakup, and now he's distant. I would say yes, him being distant is pretty normal in a situation like that. What kind of relationship do you want with him? 

I want my relationship to be normal now like cousins. No sex or anything. 

That's a tough situation to be in; I recommend that people only get involved with their cousins when they are interested in committing to serious relationship. A little late for me to offer that advice in this case though, obviously. It will be hard to get back to a normal cousin relationship, and it will definitely take time. It's possible your cousin wanted more than a fwb relationship with you. If that's not something you are interested in, you need to give him his distance. How many people manage to stay friends after they've been in a sexual relationship, even if it's supposed to be just sex? It happens, but it's less likely than not, and that's not taking into account the part about being family. If he's still recovering from his ex, that complicates things too. 

• Upvote 1

But is it not rebound if my cousin wants a relationship with me? When asked he told me I am not his rebound and that he imagines a future with me. He showed me a little love note that I gave him 7 years back and told me he kept it safe so that the note didn't get ruined or torn. When I asked why he still kept that note he replied "that's the only thing I have of yours and I missed you all these years more than you think." 

I really don't know what to do. I have feelings for him but I am not sure what he wants from me. He basically stopped having sex with girls after he met me. He still thinks about his ex sometimes and that makes me think I am just a rebound. But then when he cares for me and shows his affection I feel different. He had been so close to me lately that his mum started doubting that he has feelings for me. 

Edited by Emma_1

Do you trust him? If he's saying that he wants a future with you, what makes you doubt that? 

I'm confused about what this means: "He had been so close to me lately that his mum started doubting that he has feelings for me."

20 minutes ago, MissPrice said:

I'm confused about what this means: "He had been so close to me lately that his mum started doubting that he has feelings for me."

I mean, we were never that much emotionally close. Both of our families had arguments and fights and that always drifted us apart. But this time things are different as we are trying to bring peace to both of the families so that the family bonding stays. So, him and I weren't that much close.

Talking about the closeness, well, he will always be there to check on me and make sure I am fine and not having problems. Will sit next to me during family dinner. Every time I am at his place he would just find reasons to be around me. One day he defended me so harshly from an argument that my aunt was surprised. It's odd because nobody has seen us being that much close and truth be told I was surprised to see how much caring he has become.

And yes I trust him. That's why I ended up losing my virginity to him.

Edited by Emma_1

From what you are saying: you trust him, he's telling you he wants a future with you, he acts like he wants a future with you, he kept a note you gave him for seven years.

Everyone thinks about their exes sometimes, that's just life. 

What's the problem? :)

Yeah people do think about their exes, I do too but is it normal to keep your ex's picture in your wallet? But then why kept my note if he was in a relationship with that girl?

Just wanted to say that I agree with everything that Miss Price has said to you. 

Relationships are already so complicated enough, add the cousin factor and a FWB situation and your looking at a whirlwind of emotions.

If you guys were close enough to share a bed then you both need to sit down and clear the air about everything. We can advise you till our fingers cramp but ultimately all this will be up to the two of you. Good luck

59 minutes ago, MissPrice said:

The only person who can answer those questions is him. Why don't you ask him?

I have asked him, he said she was a part of his life because he had loved her. And he cherished my note because when he used to miss me he would read it and smile. Nobody knows about the letter as he keeps it away in a special place.

1 hour ago, quarter25 said:

Just wanted to say that I agree with everything that Miss Price has said to you. 

Relationships are already so complicated enough, add the cousin factor and a FWB situation and your looking at a whirlwind of emotions.

If you guys were close enough to share a bed then you both need to sit down and clear the air about everything. We can advise you till our fingers cramp but ultimately all this will be up to the two of you. Good luck

He's confused I think. A part of him hasn't forgotten his ex yet. And another part of him doesn't want to let go of me. He told me that he's gonna hate the guy who will marry me and that he would certainly never attend my wedding. He has given thoughts of me being his wife and we have children together.

That's why I thought giving up being his fwb is a good option. He's going through a rough time and I want to be with him as a good friend. But he just can't separate the sex. I told him to choose some other fwb who would satisfy him more but nope, it's me or nobody else. I'm giving him space now because he's acting moody and hurt. 

He very well could be. This is why we generally advise against FWB relationships and jumping into any form of relationship before you've given yourself enough time to grieve after a breakup.

If you're done with having a sexual relationship with him and have made your self clear and talked everything out and he isn't over it then giving him space is probably the best thing atm.

Maybe with time the two of you will be able to repair your friendship but it will never be the same. Let him have his space for now, he's obviously very emotional and he needs the time to process his feelings. 

• Like 1

Hi Emma,

I just want to let you know that I am reading your thread and I am really learning a lot... I mean, especially with regards to relationship, family, to exes, to this and to that... *chuckles* And as mentioned, it really is a "whirlwind of emotions". I got no words.. No words..

But good luck to both of you! I wish you the best and keep in touch in this thread! :)

Pooch

• Like 1

On 8/4/2017 at 11:02 PM, pooch said:

Hi Emma,

I just want to let you know that I am reading your thread and I am really learning a lot... I mean, especially with regards to relationship, family, to exes, to this and to that... *chuckles* And as mentioned, it really is a "whirlwind of emotions". I got no words.. No words..

But good luck to both of you! I wish you the best and keep in touch in this thread! :)

Pooch

Thanks a lot @pooch :) Sure I will. I'll keep updating if anything interesting happens between us. 

@quarter25 @MissPrice

For now, it's only " talk when needed" situation going on between us. Everything's fine when we are with people but when alone he just stays aloof. But on friendship day I made him a friendship bracelet and tied it on his hand. I was so surprised he liked that simple bracelet so much, he was actually looking at it couple of times and smiling. And next day, he gifted me cute earphones. I desperately needed one and he kept that in mind which shows he still cares about me :)

Edited by Emma_1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ThreeAM
      Hi guys, I'm new to all this cousin stuff. Im from the UK so im well aware of the legal issues on cousins.
      To cut a story short, ive always had a hunch that my cousin has liked me since we were young, but these past 4 years i think that shes been dropping hints that she likes me. Im 23 and shes 18, i know thats quite an age gap but the thing is, she is exactly like me when i was that age. We often acknowledge our similarities and we are both always a little shocked at how much we are the same. I should cringe at this but ive never really felt a real connection with anyone until recently. Ive had many girlfriends, but there was never a fulfilling feeling of being with them. but anyway ill cut to the story.
      On odd occasions my cousin will ask me to go out and i will always say yes, but if i cant i will always rearrange to see her. When we first starting hanging out she would want me to tickle her arms, so basically she was very touchy feely with me. Then a year passed and she got a boyfriend which i was totally fine with but then they split up and we started hanging out abit more, she seemed more shy around me and was alot less touchy feely. Eventually she got another boyfriend and hes a really cool guy we get on,  earlier this year she asked me to go round to her house for a massage and she asked to do a full body massage on me, i said no because i didnt want to feel awkward so i ended up just going with a back massage. she was wonderful at it she is amazing at massaging, but i couldnt help but feel a little aroused by it. so anyway i just put that to the back of my head and thought nothing of it because shes my cousin right? Anyway, when we go out as a family to a meal or something, i always catch her looking at me with such a beautiful grin after shes told a joke, even if im sat doing nothing while everyone is talking, i look over at her to catch her staring at me, we lock eyes and oh man does my heart race. It feels like we are the only people in the room. But this week we went to town and we got drunk, while we was out she was telling me that she gets more energy when there's more people and i understand that, so she invited one of her lad mates out. Before he arrived, baring in mind that she has a bf, she was telling me how nice and hot he was, which is what you do at 18 haha. I was looking forward to meeting him, we got on and he mentioned that he wanted a smoke. so i said we could go back to mine because my parents were on holiday and she was really up for that. so this lead me to think that she wanted to get with her friend. 
      When we arrived at mine we had a smoke, watched a few films and just generally had a good night then i said i was going to go to bed. as i was going up she asked me for a t-shirt to wear to bed, i was drunk and i took mine off and just chucked it at her as a joke. She laughed and said thanks, so she went off to get undressed and put my tshirt on. when i was in bed she messaged me and asked where i was sleeping, i said in my room and laughed. then we carried on talking but i cant remember what about, but i remember her saying "Let me have a nap first". at this point i was so tired i just fell asleep. eventually i woke up at 3 and could not get back to sleep, so i got up brushed my teeth and went to the living room. she came downstairs curiously in my tshirt so i presumed she slept in it and i asked her if she had done the deed with her friend. she laughed and said no as if it was gross. i was abit confused by this, but then it hit me. Was she downstairs with me at 3AM to finally admit to what she was feeling? I went so quiet i didnt know what to do and i felt a sense of tension between us, she said she was going upstairs to put her phone on charge and i told her to come back after. She did come back but she only sat with me for about 10 mins before going to wake her friend up so we could all sit downstairs together. anyway this is where it gets confusing, i try to message her and she will talk to me for a short while but its always a short while, i dont know if she feels awkward with me, honestly im so lost.
      I have no idea what im feeling, what shes feeling i just need your guys opinions on the matter. are these obvious signs shes giving me or am i just getting the wrong end of the stick?
      If you need more info just ask :).
      Cheers Guys.
    • By mariamm
      Im sorry if this is a long story.
      Throughout my childhood I always met my cousin every summer vacay and he was like a best friend. During our teens we lost contact then we started talking on facebook for a year and discovered that we had feelings for each other.That summer of that year we were both 18, we reunited in our homeland(we both live in diff countries) and we were both so happy and excited ,he would always message me and ask where I was so he would come see me. Even just talking to each other we were so happy and our convos would never end in family gatherings and eventually our families knew. Both of us are not religious because I was born and raised in canada and he was born and raised in france but our families in our country were, so they wouldnt let us be alone together or even talk. even though we both knew it was forbidden(no relationships before marriage), we still kissed and made out every time we had the chance and we were alone. Summer ended and he went back to france and i came back to canada, we promised we will keep in touch and that he will come to canada and we will get married, he talked about it to his father ( my uncle), that was the plan.
      When I came back to canada it was my first year in uni, i met guys and dated a few and i partied alot and eventually  i broke up with him. He never gave up he would always try to call me , message me and tell me he would give me a second chance. I knew I loved him deep down and  was the only guy i loved, my first kiss and everything but i was denying it and i was convinced he would never come and tht he cheated on me cause he was always telling me and sending me screen shot of girls that want him. He kept messaging me for two years to keep in touch and i never messaged him first he always did, but when he did it meant the world to me. Fast forward two years of being apart, we were both 20, he decided to get married and he did to a french girl. I heard from my mum not him. A part of me died when i heard the news because i thought somehow we will eventually end up together.During his marriage he would still message me telling me he still has feelings for me and asked me to never lose contact with him ,to never forget himm, and that he will visit canada (cuz he worked and has enough money saved) and that if i get married he doesnt want to hear it and he wished i was his wife but he would also tell me he is happy with his wife.fast forward 2 yer later, our grandmother passed away, me and him messaged each other and it helped us heal together then he started telling me that he misses me. I am happy for him that he is happy but now i have to look after myself, i still only want him and i havent even kissed or been with a guy for years cuz i only think of him.I decided to block him of all social media,  i know it will hurt him but he moved on i didnt, i need to help myself now, is that selfish of me? i hate keeping in touch with him becaause he always starts talking about our past and at times he would get frustrated and tell me its my fault that we didnt work out and we would have been so happy together. i hate and i cant hear that thats why i blocked him. i hope he understands.
      its been 4 years since i saw him but i love him that as much as that first time and i always think about the maagical moments we had together, is it possible i will move on like he did?
      i feel like i want to explode because i cant talk to anyone about it

• By Bold
      Ok so I’m in love with my cousin, let the story begin, I’m a 17yr old man and my cousin is also 17. Up until recently I hadn’t seen her for 10+ years due to family complications and distance. But recently we had a family reunion and we hit it off so well that I flew down to California with her for a week.
      Over this week I started to see some signs that maybe she was starting to catch feelings. She hugs me a lot and at one point I was semi mad at her and she was basically non stop hugging me begging me not to be mad. Another sign I saw was during movies, when she was cold we snuggled and when we watched a scary movie we did the same. One night we were taking and she pointed out how my lips were shaped and I personally have never heard of someone just observing another lips unless they wanted something to happen.
      Now that I’m back from the trip we were texting and I was sending some more flirtatious messages and all of a sudden she confronts me about the texts saying that she felt uncomfortable because we were family and so I told her I didn’t mean it like that to not seem “creepy” I guess. I don’t know if she changed her mind or just felt wrong about it so she backed off but I don’t know what it all means. It all seemed to line up in person but none of it does over text. So what should I do? I don’t want her to find someone else before I can speak my mind, but I also don’t want to ruin the relationship if she’s doesn’t feel the same. So how do I go about telling her?
    • By Jordan Colbert
      Our story started roughly 2 years ago when my cousin confessed she had feelings for me. At the time she said this is wrong and we should not be doing this. But we continued developing our relationship anyway. We planned of our lives together after marriage, babies, places to visit, things to do and so on. We lived a happy life. Now after two years of constant back and forth of; this is wrong we should not be doing it and it’s ok let’s go ahead with it, she wants to end the relationship but isn’t doing it, just putting a halt to the boyfriend/girlfriend aspect and just wants to be friends. She says, “I should have been the adult in the room. I don’t want to continue doing wrong.” She feels that when we inform our family about our intentions we will end up creating a huge and permanent split in our family. We will be the reason for our family to break apart. People will hate us. Previously at the beginning of our relationship she had said that she doesn’t care about what other people think of her. When I brought this up she said well I do care now. I tried convincing her that I’ll deal with all the heat from the family, you can even say he is the one pushing for it I’m not that interested. I’ll be able to make the family come to terms with us. But she still says even if you convince the family I know it’s wrong and my mind will not be at ease. She says even if we get married I won’t be able to live a happy life because I’ll be disturbed about the fact that we are cousins and we shouldn’t be married. Also whenever she sees other cousins they remind her that we are doing wrong. She feels bad when she sees them. Sometimes she says that I look like her brother and that makes it difficult for her. The thing I don’t understand is that these are issues that were there during the first year of our relationship, why are they becoming unbearable now. She was able to put these thoughts aside then. Why can’t she now? I asked her do you want to end our relationship? Her reply was, “Yes, sometimes I want to end it. But sometimes I don’t. I don’t know.” I said why don’t you end it then. She said, “You’ve done nothing but loved me. And that’s why it’s difficult for me to end it. I’m thinking about our relationship in a realistic way and you think in a hopeful way. There is no way our family will allow us to be together.” 
      I feel that if I can convince her that we are not doing anything wrong. We love each other and there’s nothing wrong about it, she might change her mind. The thing is I’ve tried everything I could to do that. But she doesn’t accept it. I’ve given her examples of cousin marriages happening for so many decades. Her response is that if people have been doing wrong that doesn’t mean we continue doing wrong. 
      You may think she does not love me anymore and is trying to find excuses to end our relationship. That’s not how it is. She is a tough independent woman. She does not let other people’s opinions play any role in her decision making. She thinks for herself and sticks to her decisions however painful they may be. I know her very well. She still loves me. Just not enough to marry me.