• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla

KC    48

I am adding a few ads just to help us break even (if we are lucky) on the increasing cost of running this website. It's only right to bring everyone on board who visit here. If I wasn't a broke student, I would just pay. I never thought it was very cool to allow the mods or admins pay out of pocket, either. They should be getting paid for their hard work. 

You may not like the ads, but what is the alternative? I will try to keep them to a minimum! And also take the dating websites out :) 

Nattana    17

You do what you gotta do!!!

The site can pay its own way - only fair since you have paid all along for years. I know your ads will be gentle and not "hard selling".

I totally approve and support you in this.

HUGS

Nat

• Like 1

Hawk    29

KC,

Adds are one of my biggest pet peeves, but, they aren't pop-ups and are not overly obnoxious, so, I second doing what you have to do.....

Romalee    26

I agree with Nat and Hawk. You do what you have to keep us up and running.

You know I never had a problem helping out. But agree with the ads to generate income.

LadyC    98

ditto all the above... heck, i don't remember even seeing the ads, so they must be really unobtrusive! now i'm gonna go look!

KC    48

Yo! Everybody! We have made a nickle in the last seven days! I guess I should go ahead and cancel my trip to Eastern Europe.

Romalee    26

For the ads to generate income do they have to  be clicked on, read,  purchases made .....?

For this tech dummy I don't understand how that works. 

KC    48

You get paid by the click. You never know how much they will pay. Sometimes a penny, sometime $1.50 or more. They do record your IP address, so you can't just go start clicking on the ads 10 times in a row, but you can click them every once in a while if you see something interesting.

The best way to do it is to put your own ads in there as an affiliate of some company. For example, wpEngine.com will pay $200 per purchase that you generate. Again, they keep up with all of this via your IP address.