Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gryan

Question about some of the cousincouples statistics...need sources

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

8 posts in this topic

Hello...

Well, my mom found out about my cousin romance and right now, tempers are flaring (mainly from her end). It's chaos here...her viewpoint of the subject is extremely simple minded. She is screaming that it is immoral, wrong, etc. She is labelling my LOVE as a very terrible thing to have, and I'm pretty puzzled by this. I intend to try to educate her on the facts...the thing is, I need some sources on some of the facts mentioned here:

http://www.cousincouples.com/?page=facts

I tried to look up some of these statistics on google and couldn't really come up with much...I'm particularly intrigued by:

"It is estimated that 20 percent of all couples worldwide are first cousins. It is also estimated that 80 percent of all marriages historically have been between first cousins!"

Is there a source for this statistic? I'm actually pretty surprised by how high these percentages are. Also, any idea which countries or continents, make up the majority of these percentages? I'm going to assume Asia, but what about Europe? I'm guessing the least is probably like the US or something, as they seem to have the most restrictions and it says only 1 in 1000 marriages are cousin marriages. Regardless, I'd like some more sources on this, if possible.

Thanks

yes, those stats come from the book KC linked you to. it's written by a well reknowned expert in the field of anthropology, martin ottenheimer. he's also a college professor. the book 'forbidden relatives' is actually a text book that he wrote for anthropology students.

Thanks...I'm wondering if there are any other similar kinds of statistics from other studies out there. I haven't really been able to find much on it.

Anyway, my mom's view is so incredibly simple minded...I really don't know what to do anymore. I'm really afraid...I feel she is going to reveal it to the other family, and say things that are false (she doesn't truly understand my love for my cousin) and overall just ruin the entire family relationship I have with them.

I've attempted to talk about it, bringing up some statistics and just general logic. She is not listening at all and is just responding with more and more screaming.

I think I need to get away from this person as soon as possible.

I found something else ...

the web has been scrubbed of the NSOGC guidelines. anyone have it?

i have a printed copy of the booklet, sent to me by alan bittles way back when it first came out, but i don't want to part with it. i'm sure that one could be obtained through contacting robin bennett or alan bittles.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0