• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
Maria

Genetic counseling

Hello everyone. Yesterday I went to my yearly check up and asked my doctor if he could recommend a genetic counselor. My doctor asked me why I want to go see a genetic counselor, and I told him that me and my husband are first cousins once removed. He pretty much freaked out on me. He said that no matter what our kids will always have defects and be "special". He says that it doesn't matter if we are 5 th cousins; kids still come out "special". I promptly left his office and never plan to go back again. I know that what he told me is absolutely not true.  I have read your page on genetic defects and health, and it was very helpful. Thank you so much for that information.  It was nice to hear something other than " you will never be able to have normal kids". My husband and I still want to go see a genetic counselor just to make sure we don't have a crazy disease in our genes we don't know about. We were wondering if anyone on here knew of a genetic counselor in the Chicago area that is not judgemental? We live in a Chicago suburb,but would be willing to drive for the right person. Thank you so much for your help!  

genetic counselors are used to this kind of thing. your doctor, however, should be reported to the medical licensing board or whatever governs that. he's only human, and given to the same bigotries and biases that anyone else is, because this is not his area of expertise. but to talk like that to a patient is inexcusable.

GC's on the other hand, well this IS their area of expertise. i'd be surprised if you ever ran across one that is critical. if you can't find anyone here to give you a referral, please check out the NSGC.org website. you can find one in your area, and maybe you could call ahead and say "hey, is this going to be an issue for you?" before you schedule an appointment.