Alina

I'm just trying to live happy ever after. What can I do?

My cousin and I, are in love! her husband of whom  she is separated with now...is trying to keep the kids from her because he found out about us they live in Ohio where it is not legal. I live in Florida where it is legal. She can't move here for obvious reasons. ( the kids)  I was going to move there but now she's afraid he's going to keep the kids from her and the kids love me  and everything was fine until he found out.  Her lawyer was telling her to stay away from me is there any type of action we can take or is there a lawyer out there in Ohio that would fight this issue. We don't necessarily need to be married but I at least want to live with her and still let her not be from her kids  Please help me. Can we start a petition to make it legal in Ohio. She is my world, I cannot lose her.  It had to become legal in some other state somehow what can we do??

Her lawyer is telling her to stay away from you because SHE IS STILL MARRIED and needs to do what is best for the kids.  Go screw yourself over the "The kids love me" BS.  You are not their father and never will be so it doesn't matter one iota how much the kids love you.  Sorry not sorry, but you've hit a hot button with me.  As someone who went through a divorce and had her husband live with another woman that "the kids just loved" (they most definitely did not) pre-divorce, I will tell you straight up that you and her are doing these kids no favor.  Why the hell have the kids even met you yet?  Be a man for God's sake and back off the relationship until she is a free woman.  You living happily ever after is of zero importance; these kids are of the utmost importance and the two of you are jeopardizing their happily ever after.  

Do all the petitioning you want to change the Ohio law - but of course if you want to even more negatively affect these kids and not marry, as you said you are not necessarily interested in doing, then you have no worries.  Any other respectable lawyer is going to tell you the same thing this one is:  Cool your jets.  Ultimately, these kids come first - at least they should.  If she is "your world" then you will do what's best for her, which is also what is best for her children.  If you truly love her, then be willing to wait until you are both free and until you can figure out how to navigate this relationship.  This may takes years.  Do you love her enough to do what is right for her, even at the expense of your piddling happiness?

• Like 1

Wow you totally misunderstood everything! ???. I've been through a divorce. You got issues. Hope you see someone about that. For a father to try to keep their kids from their mother.. is no real man in my book. I am waiting for them to divorce. And this is a couple cousins forum. Obviously I've met her kids. Are you mentally challenged? I'm not trying to take the place of their father, nor would I ever. Sorry that you think this is, in anyway similar to your situation, And that your still mourning over a man who didn't want you. But I can see why now

Mentally challenged? I told you straight up what is what without resorting to name calling.  Seems that makes me a bit more mature than others.

Cousin marriage in OH is not legal.  Are you married to her? No.  Is she STILL MARRIED to someone else? Yes.  Is her lawyer giving her good advice about your relationship? YES.  YOU are the one who said that marriage is not necessarily in the cards for you, so any huffing and puffing that the HUSBAND may do is just that, huffing and puffing - unless of course OH's incest laws cover cousin relations.

Pray tell, why is it obvious that you've met her kids? Because you've been sleeping with their MARRIED mother?  And why is it so important to you that the kids "love you" and why have the kids developed enough of a relationship with you to "love you" if their mother is STILL MARRIED?

Whysoever you may think that I am still pining for a man that treated my children with disregard is baffling.  And though it is of no consequence, I have remarried - to a man who treated my children (nearly grown when we marriedd) with respect and would not have dreamed of sleeping with me if I were still married, as your current lover is.

• Like 1

no, alina, it is you who is out of line. your cousin is still a married woman, regardless of separation. to HER CHILDREN, there is still the hopeful expectation that mom and dad will get back together and they will be a family again. your intrusion into the mix is just that... an intrusion.

you and she are both being incredibly selfish. neither of you are giving a second thought to what is in the best interest for those children. and right now, you are NOT in their best interest. 

and for the record, i'm not mourning over anybody, so you'll have to do better than your second rate analysis of serendipity. 

maybe, just maybe, you should analyze this. we're not thinking with our dicks. clearly you and your cousin are both thinking with yours.

Oh, and BTW, I'm the one who kicked my ex's sorry a$$ to the curb.  He was the desperate one who couldn't bear to be alone and found someone else while we were separated but STILL MARRIED.  I was the strong and smart one who waited to get into another relationship.  So, really, you shouldn't comment on things you have no idea about.

he's not worth it serendipity. don't waste your time defending your life choices. you made the right ones. he's making the wrong ones. the ones that say "i'm entitled". the ones that say "my gratification supercedes the emotional health and well-being of innocent children who have no choice but to be treated as though their feelings are irrelevant, because the kids are really nothing more than inconvenient obstacles to getting what he wants. he is not the first adulteror to come here thinking that we'll pat him on the back because his affair is with his cousin.

7 minutes ago, Serendipity said:

Oh, and BTW, I'm the one who kicked my ex's sorry a$$ to the curb.  He was the desperate one who couldn't bear to be alone and found someone else while we were separated but STILL MARRIED.  I was the strong and smart one who waited to get into another relationship.  So, really, you shouldn't comment on things you have no idea about.

Oh my goodness!! Really? I know her kids because they are my cousins! Ughhh and they are going through a divorce not because of me! because he hadn't shown her any love, he slept on the couch every night. She asked him to go to marriage counseling years ago and he refused. He has a very bad temper and I've heard him screaming at her and calling her just the worse names ever. Don't come at me when neither of you know the full situation. We have not even slept together FYI!! So there goes your thinking with my shriveled appendage scenerio. We are waiting till the divorce is final. Because there is a bit of respect and decency In my morals. But you two ladies act like y'all are the queen pins of this site. Well I think it sux.  I thought I could get on here and maybe get some help, but apparently if someone is getting divorced, their not allowed to get with their cousin afterwards.... because yeah nobody ever gets divorced in this world. And if they do then there not aloud to get with thier cousin afterwards my bad I'm sorry. 

23 hours ago, Alina said:

My cousin and I, are in love! her husband of whom  she is separated with now...is trying to keep the kids from her because he found out about us they live in Ohio where it is not legal. I live in Florida where it is legal. She can't move here for obvious reasons. ( the kids)  I was going to move there but now she's afraid he's going to keep the kids from her and the kids love me  and everything was fine until he found out.  Her lawyer was telling her to stay away from me is there any type of action we can take or is there a lawyer out there in Ohio that would fight this issue. We don't necessarily need to be married but I at least want to live with her and still let her not be from her kids  Please help me. Can we start a petition to make it legal in Ohio. She is my world, I cannot lose her.  It had to become legal in some other state somehow what can we do??

any misconception is squarely on YOUR shoulders. you didn't come here saying 'my cousin's husband has a bad temper, they're going through a divorce, and i want a future with her and her children but we are waiting patiently until the divorce is final before we sleep together". 

you came here saying 'we're in love, she's married, he's being a shriveled appendage because he found out about us and is trying to use the kids as a weapon to keep us apart, and oh, i don't care if i marry her i just want to live with her, so how can we do it?'

ring ring ring telephone line.... i'm sorry, but you have reached a conservative message board. please engage your brain before you open mouth and insert foot.

it doesn't change anything. you're still just thinking about yourselves and not what is in the best interest of the children. if you truly want to be selfless, then you will break off ALL intimacy. you act as though the only form of infidelity is putting a penis in a hole. newsflash, until the ink is dry on the divorce papers, she is being unfaithful to her marriage every time she confides in you, every time you whisper sweet nothings in her ear over the telephone, every time you talk about a future together, every time you skype, every time you sext. 

we believe in cousin marriage here. but first and foremost, we believe in the sanctity of marriage. you're not getting any advice that we haven't given countless others over the years... stay completely out of the picture until the divorce is final. if you are anywhere in the picture, even on the sidelines, then you become one of the reasons for the divorce. no, more than that. you become the frame. period. that is black and white and set in stone, no matter how you try to muddy the lines. 

yes, people get divorced. it's true. heck, i've even been divorced. and you know what the cause of divorce is 100% of the time? it is selfishness. it doesn't matter who is to blame initially, in the end both are thinking more of their own desires than about the commitment they made to forsake all others til death do them part. 

but fyi, if you had joined this board and explained things in a more thought out manner, we might have given you the same consideration. wouldn't have changed our position, but we probably would responded in a way that didn't step on your toes quite so hard. but don't take that as an apology. when you act like a selfish jerk, you get treated like one.

A point of clarification for anyone reading this thread: while it is not legal to marry your cousin in Ohio, you can be married in a state that does allow cousin marriage, and Ohio will recognize that marriage.

55 minutes ago, MissPrice said:

A point of clarification for anyone reading this thread: while it is not legal to marry your cousin in Ohio, you can be married in a state that does allow cousin marriage, and Ohio will recognize that marriage.

right. but neither state (or any other in the nation) will recognize bigamy. had they both been single, we'd have given different advice.

It's just that the original poster stated some confusing things about marriage in Ohio, and I didn't want anyone reading the thread to misunderstand. It isn't "illegal" to be in a relationship with a cousin in Ohio (say, as it is in Texas), and it is possible to be in a legal marriage in Ohio. That does of course require that you are not married to anyone else first.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ThreeAM
      Hi guys, I'm new to all this cousin stuff. Im from the UK so im well aware of the legal issues on cousins.
      To cut a story short, ive always had a hunch that my cousin has liked me since we were young, but these past 4 years i think that shes been dropping hints that she likes me. Im 23 and shes 18, i know thats quite an age gap but the thing is, she is exactly like me when i was that age. We often acknowledge our similarities and we are both always a little shocked at how much we are the same. I should cringe at this but ive never really felt a real connection with anyone until recently. Ive had many girlfriends, but there was never a fulfilling feeling of being with them. but anyway ill cut to the story.
      On odd occasions my cousin will ask me to go out and i will always say yes, but if i cant i will always rearrange to see her. When we first starting hanging out she would want me to tickle her arms, so basically she was very touchy feely with me. Then a year passed and she got a boyfriend which i was totally fine with but then they split up and we started hanging out abit more, she seemed more shy around me and was alot less touchy feely. Eventually she got another boyfriend and hes a really cool guy we get on,  earlier this year she asked me to go round to her house for a massage and she asked to do a full body massage on me, i said no because i didnt want to feel awkward so i ended up just going with a back massage. she was wonderful at it she is amazing at massaging, but i couldnt help but feel a little aroused by it. so anyway i just put that to the back of my head and thought nothing of it because shes my cousin right? Anyway, when we go out as a family to a meal or something, i always catch her looking at me with such a beautiful grin after shes told a joke, even if im sat doing nothing while everyone is talking, i look over at her to catch her staring at me, we lock eyes and oh man does my heart race. It feels like we are the only people in the room. But this week we went to town and we got drunk, while we was out she was telling me that she gets more energy when there's more people and i understand that, so she invited one of her lad mates out. Before he arrived, baring in mind that she has a bf, she was telling me how nice and hot he was, which is what you do at 18 haha. I was looking forward to meeting him, we got on and he mentioned that he wanted a smoke. so i said we could go back to mine because my parents were on holiday and she was really up for that. so this lead me to think that she wanted to get with her friend. 
      When we arrived at mine we had a smoke, watched a few films and just generally had a good night then i said i was going to go to bed. as i was going up she asked me for a t-shirt to wear to bed, i was drunk and i took mine off and just chucked it at her as a joke. She laughed and said thanks, so she went off to get undressed and put my tshirt on. when i was in bed she messaged me and asked where i was sleeping, i said in my room and laughed. then we carried on talking but i cant remember what about, but i remember her saying "Let me have a nap first". at this point i was so tired i just fell asleep. eventually i woke up at 3 and could not get back to sleep, so i got up brushed my teeth and went to the living room. she came downstairs curiously in my tshirt so i presumed she slept in it and i asked her if she had done the deed with her friend. she laughed and said no as if it was gross. i was abit confused by this, but then it hit me. Was she downstairs with me at 3AM to finally admit to what she was feeling? I went so quiet i didnt know what to do and i felt a sense of tension between us, she said she was going upstairs to put her phone on charge and i told her to come back after. She did come back but she only sat with me for about 10 mins before going to wake her friend up so we could all sit downstairs together. anyway this is where it gets confusing, i try to message her and she will talk to me for a short while but its always a short while, i dont know if she feels awkward with me, honestly im so lost.
      I have no idea what im feeling, what shes feeling i just need your guys opinions on the matter. are these obvious signs shes giving me or am i just getting the wrong end of the stick?
      If you need more info just ask :).
      Cheers Guys.
    • By Anonymous8
      I'll keep the explanation brief but I'm an 18 year old girl who had a pretty traumatic past. My parents were both alcoholics, and my father, although he was present for my life, didn't really take up the whole "father" role, if that makes sense. This will become important later.
      My cousin... He's a few years older than me and we've always had this sort of connection, of sorts. It was always PERFECTLY innocent, he and I were two of the most intelligent of the cousins, we both had the same sarcastic kind of humor... we just sorta "got" each other, all through our youth. 
      It sounds goofy, but he was our gardener. Let me explain. Our house had a crazy gopher infestation, and he, being 16 or 17 at the time, was eager to earn a few bucks, and had a knack for gardening. My mom would pay him to come over and help us. Remember how I said that my childhood trauma would become important? Well, my cousin was my stability through most of it. Where most if not all of my male representatives in my life had failed me, he was what "normal" was. Him being around the house so often made me feel safe, like I was protected. Kinda stupid in hindsight, considering we were both children, but hey. I think my crush started way back then. 
      Our family, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc, do NOT gather all that often. But when we do, we are just so drawn to each other. Thanksgivings, while the rest of the family would be in the kitchen talking and drinking, you know, having general merriment... we'd be in the living room, talking, or sitting in silence. It was that kind of thing where even if we weren't talking, you could tell that we were comfortable enough just being around each other. Particularly last Thanksgiving, there was a point where I felt comfortable enough to finally talk to him about all the crazy crap that happened when I was young with my parents and the abuse. I felt safe. And he listened, told me how strong I was and how I hadn't deserved to go through all of it alone. I felt SO safe, and warm, like I was finally home. And that's something that's so hard for me to feel, it's impossible to ignore.
      Now, here's the thing about my cousin. He's a man of very few emotions, or, at least, he doesn't show them very often. But even all the aunts, uncles, and grandparents know that he's always been very protective of me. We tend to read each other's emotions like a book. We were both raised in a pretty straight-laced, Christian environment and are both still of the faith, and because of this, cousin/cousin relationships are pretty taboo. I know chances are that he doesn't feel the same way about me. But I think that I DO harbor some pretty serious feelings for him.
      These feelings became pretty evident, actually, when I met up with my mother a few weeks ago. We had gotten lunch, and I talked about my cousin and how I was so glad that he had been there for me through the hard times, something like that. My mom said, and I quote, "(Cousin's name) is a great man. Really. What a shame that he's your cousin." And my heart stopped. My first thought was "Sh*t! She found me out!" Then I started thinking, "Wait a minute, is that her way of giving support?" And that's really the incident that led me to questioning my feelings and finally ending up at this point, writing this post. Here I am. In love with my cousin. And I'm confused, alone, and scared. 
      I have a lot of questions that hopefully those in this community could help me answer. For the longest time I had tried to push down these feelings, so forgive me if my questions sound a bit obvious or whatever. 
      Is there any way to gauge whether the cousin in question returns these feelings?
      Is this something that would be easier to ignore and forget about?
      Are the whole "cousin couples are bad because genetic deformities happen in their children" thing really as severe as people say? 
      Is there something wrong with me?
      Thank you guys in advance for your responses, I really hope to hear from some of you. Any advice is appreciated. 

• By Deku
      Im new here. So where to even begin. This feeling of emotion is too strong right. Anyways
      So its all begin last december. I saw my distant cousin (the family tree is complex but she is defintely like a 7 or 8 cousin.) But so it had been quite a few months since i last saw her. (She lives about 3 hours away so i only get to see her 3 or 4 times in a year). But when i saw her this december. Everything seemed different. I just dont even know how to describe that feeling. And before you ask my age is 19 while she is 18. So back to the story.
      So she came with her family and stayed for 3 days. The moment she walked in that feeling i felt was unusual because i did use to see her before and i had no feelings like this. This was different. I dont even know what to call this love because it was so intense. So nothing really happened after that other then me hanging out with her and her staring quite a bit at me and as well as being playful with. (Bear in mind. She did not do this before as whenever she came she just hung around my other girl cousin and sister and we didnt even talk on social media). So time flew and she went back and i saw that on the final day she was quite sad because i think she didnt want to leave. Also this time she didnt talk to my cousin and sister a lot and instead it was me and her talking and the usual stuff. 
      So one day went by and i was feeling quite depressed because i was missing her quite a bit. So i texted her and then since then we have talked everyday without missing a single. As we have a lot in common such as interests and hobbies. The texting was quite prolonged and as this progressed my feelings went through the roof. This was our first time texting as before we didnt really click. Now that i know so much about her. I just want to be with her and protect her and make her happy as much as i can. I just think about her 24/7 everyday and it makes sad thinking that it might not work
      Well i know my story wasnt too eventful but here is the question. Do you think she likes me? 
      Other the staring and being playful with me. With regards to text. I am getting some mixed signals so first when i text her about like actresses or any other girl. I get weird responses like lol and ok then. I feel like she doesnt want me too talk about other girls to her. Also she has told me about literally everything about herself and half of the things even my sister doesnt know. So i assume she does trust me a lot from. And there is this other thing. I once told her i liked girl with short hair upto the shoulders and what you know after a week she cuts her hair to that length. Also we literally never end our texting. It just keeps on going. Whether day or night. Also we both compliment each other quite a lot and she is quite shy so i cant expect her to make the first move. 
      So to end. What do you think i should do. I obviously want a relationship and i already know my parents or her should not say anything but i dont know how to tell her. 
      Sorry for a long story but had to get it off my chest somewhere so i could have some peace.
      Thanks for any replies
    • By Essex
      There is this my nine years younger girl cousin...four years ago when she was 14 and i was 23 she always had this strong eye contacts and laugh hysterically at my chessy jokes and all the signs that she really likes me but at that time i wasn't interested at all ofc coz she was 14 for god sake ...we rarely meet at family gatherings...till recently i really have a strong crush on her for like two years...she grew up and i think we switched roles...but don't know if she likes me or just getting more mature to hide her feelings...we are both very shy btw...but still she gets nervous when she sees me and i catch her with few eye contacts..till i made whoopie up one night and was drunk and got the courage to tell her that i like her..she got really nervous and thought i was joking...then later i told her it was just a mistake (more made whoopie up)...later on everything is normal...we meet at gatherings..simple talks...she get nervous and clumsy when she sees me...i started texted her...this where all this get so confusing...she reply very late with short texts..so i stop..and text her later..same late uninterested replies...then i stop..
      Dont know if she likes me and tries to avoid me coz of her excessive shyness...or just can't take the fact that she has a crush on her nine years older cousin (she is a little westernized) and think its disgusting regardless of her feelings...or if all of this is just illusions in my head and her teenager crush was just a period and went away...but i just think of her all the time..should i let her go out of my head or take a more wise approach?!!!...help!!!!