• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
HJohnloz

Can I be arrested for being in a relationship with my cousin in Michigan?

first cousins can't marry in michigan. the closest thing i can find to just 'being in a relationship' dates back to 2008 and appears to be only felony offenses if the 'relationship' is with a minor in your own home. but here's the chart... scroll down to michigan and read for yourself. if i'm understanding it correctly, assuming you are both consenting adults, you'd be considered (worst case scenario) a 4th degree misdemeanor. but even that is when one person was coerced into the relationship. 

http://www.ndaa.org/pdf/criminal_incest chart _2010.pdf

Hey guys I have a similar question my bf and I though are from Texas and are having a baby this month. I'm wondering if we will get in trouble if both are listed on the birth certificate. I don't want my kid taken away or us to get in trouble. My bf thinks TX has bigger fish to fry then to mess with us for being second half cousins but we aren't married and share the same last name . Any answers help! Thank you! 

I'm not a lawyer so I can't give any valid legal advice but even though Texas is pretty strict in regards to cousin relationships I believe second cousins can marry pretty much anywhere as far as I know so being second half cousins I would think you would be OK 

Im sorry I don't know why that says second it's first half cousins. His dad is my mom's half brother so whatever that is. We aren't concerned with the marriage thing just more the birth certificate. I don't want any issues with it. Any advice helps! 

well it would have been easier if you were second cousins. legally, since 2005, first cousins are considered incestuous in the state of texas. however, since you are first HALF cousins, you share the same amount of DNA as first cousins once removed, which are NOT considered incestuous. so even if it ever did come up in court, i think you'd have plenty of grounds to have a case dismissed. 

that being said, there is no government agency that checks the biological relationship of every parent listed on every birth certificate. and even if they did, since you aren't (at this time) considering marriage, who could prove that the two of you had sex here in texas? you could have conceived while you were in oklahoma... or in any other state or country where your relationship was legal.  

now you can see a lawyer and get advice that is worth more than my opinions, and if you can, i encourage you to do so. but i think your boyfriend is right. there are bigger fish to fry than to try to convict one or both of you of having illegal sex. and nobody is going to take your baby away for having had sex that can't be proven as illegal (since you could have been elsewhere.) and not so long ago, the sodomy law was repealed in texas (this being before gay marriage became legal) because you can't prove what does or does not happen in the privacy of your bedroom.

so unless the two of you have a video floating around somewhere of the two of you engaged in the act, or unless you have some really evil person that is hellbent on revenge over something, i'd go with your boyfriend's gut feelings on this one.