• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
KC

Another casting call

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

26 posts in this topic

If you want to get involved, you do so at your own risk folks... -KC

To the Editors:

Hello, my name is Rebecca, and I am reaching out from Stiletto Television, a production company in Los Angeles. We are currently working on a new project that features different kinds of love. I came across your site, and really feel that you guys send a positive message. I hope to speak with you further to find out more about what you guys do, and to see if you know of any married cousins with success stories that I might speak with. Thank you so much for your time, and I hope to speak with you soon.

Rebecca Carden

Casting Assistant, Talent Development & Casting | STILETTO Television

8295 South La Cienega Blvd | Inglewood, CA | 90301

o:  | f: 

"Stilletto" television? LOL, i'm thinking NOOOOOOO!

pwitty, before you contact them, tell me what you would expect to happen back-stage. i've done a lot of media appearances, and i'd like to help prepare you for what will probably happen before you get ambushed.

then i'll share some insights with you that i've learned from experience.

if the show is a news magazine format, (like 20/20 or frontline, that style of show) then you're probably quite safe agreeing to it. otherwise, be very, very careful.

television shows are all about ratings, and their producers are paid to lie their butts off to people like you and me to get us to agree to come on the show. i don't know if you remember the montel williams show, back in the 90's... he was one of the more reputable "talk show" hosts. his shows were more in line with oprah's shows than with jerry springer. we were promised the moon to be on his show! one couple from here was having parental issues... the wife's mother was totally supportive, but her sister (the husband's mother) was very, very opposed. as a result, the two sisters despised each other. both sisters were told that the other had refused to come on the show, but in fact, the two sisters were put up in separate hotels and kept in different parts of the studio up until the moment when, on live tv, they brought out the objectionable sister and seated her directly across the aisle from the supportive sister. you would have thought it was a jerry springer show, seriously.

on the same show, they'd asked us to bring my oldest daughter, who was 13 years old at the time. they kept her isolated from us at the studio, before the show. the producer who stayed with her was provoking her the entire time, trying to rile her up and bring out some hidden anger towards us. it didn't work, however. during the show, they had her in the audience. when montel had her stand up, and went to talk to her, he asked her how she felt, and if she had experienced any grief from her peers at school. she answered that some people teased her about it, but that she didn't care, and that while SHE wouldn't marry her cousin, nobody had a right to tell anyone else not to. the answer was not at all what montel had paid his producers to get out of her, and he just turned on her heel and went back up to the platform where we sat, saying "well SHE is certainly well adjusted." while his back was turned, she could be seen blowing mark and i a kiss from where she was.

the montel experience wasn't all bad. it taped for over 2 hours, and was edited down to 40 minutes, about half of which was dan's mother screaming incest at the top of her lungs. but all that ended up doing was making the audience sympathize with me and mark, dan and theresa, and another couple, who used to be known here as jasper and flash. the promise of counseling for dan and theresa's family was forgotten as soon as the episode was finished taping. no counseling services were ever offered, and the couple was divorced within a year, because dan's mother's hatred drove such a wedge in their marriage.

i've had other talk shows that were even worse. there used to be a show called "the other half"... it was the men's version of "the view". it was hosted by dick clark, and had danny bonnaduce, mario lopez, and somebody else as the co-hosts. yeah, that one went so poorly that i refused to sign the release papers (which they'd forgotten to give me before hand) and they had to pull the segment from being aired. yea me, i'd learned a little bit about how the media operates by that time, and i managed to get the upper hand.

on he other hand, the news formatted shows can be a wonderful experience. but always watch a few episodes before going on to see how subject matter is treated in the edited versions. i did a show once called "the pulse", hosted by fox news personality shepherd smith. WONDERFUL experience. the episode i appeared on was the final episode of its two year run. it was handled very well, and with the utmost respect. mark and i also did a segment for.... oh heck, i can't remember now. 20/20? the show hosted by john stossel. another couple from here was on the segment as well. that one was also a wonderful experience. they flew to vegas and filmed mark and i renewing our vows, then flew me to new york, where i met the other couple, and got to have dinner with them and dr. robbin bennett (former president of the NSGC). while at the studio, we stopped for a lunch break and got to share pizza with john stossel, as well as some very stimulating conversation with him that had nothing to do with cousin marriage. later, when stossel wrote a book about media hype and myths, he did a chapter on cousin marriage, and had his editor send me a copy of the chapter to proofread before it was published.

so really, just be aware. be careful. never believe what a producer tells you, because they will lie, lie lie... unless it is for a newsy-show. if it's promised to be a newsy show, do your homework and watch a few episodes before agreeing. if you are expected to travel, make sure that you find out in advance whether they will be giving you a per-diem to cover food and transportation, or whether you have to pay for those things up front and get reimbursed later. later will mean you might see a check within 90 days, and it probably won't cover everything you spent.... make sure you keep receipts for everything and find out how much food and transportation allowance they will reimburse you for if it's not paid up front.

and be prepared, because once you've appeared on one show, you will probably be contacted by other shows. after a while, particularly if you're doing newsy shows, you'll start gaining a little leverage. when 20/20 sent me to new york, i requested that they pay for one extra night in the hotel so i could have a free day for sight seeing. (trust me, if you settle for what they originally offer to pay for, the only free time you will have will be after dark.) it was the only time i'd ever gotten anything "extra" i'd asked for from media, but they did give me that extra night and a whole day free for sight seeing.

Thank you so much for your insight LadyC! I will think a lot more into it instead of jumping to the gun. I have a question, I tried looking up your episode on the Montel William Show and i can't find it. I'd love to see it and compare it to the one you did on 20/20, So if you wouldn't mind and if there is anyway you could post it on here so myself and maybe others could watch it that would be great!

Thanks

Pwitty93

we used to have a sticky topic with a link to it, but it was on youtube... and if i'm not mistaken they may have removed the video for copyright issues. i'll see if i can find it.

ps, it says primetime.... maybe it was primetime. but i think it was 20/20. it got passed around and included on about three different abc shows before it was all said and done.

That was a good one! I had a copy on VHS lol. That was a long time ago. It might be hard to find. I lost my copy (I think).

I saw that one, I was talking about the Montel Williams Show - Not 20/20

That was a good one! I had a copy on VHS lol. That was a long time ago. It might be hard to find. I lost my copy (I think).

I have been looking for it alll day! i'd love to see it. Hope someon can find it.

oh yeah! montel was back in VHS days, and never did get put on youtube. i lost my copy somewhere along the line too. too many moves to keep up with vhs stuff!

Yeah, he has a website with all the episodes but none of my computers a use throughout the day will play it for me :( I was really hoping to see it!

I might could find my copy next week and mail it to you. Can you convert it to digital? It needs to be youtubed.

I'd love for you to mail it to me! I don't know if i could do that, but i could try! I think it should be youtubed also.

naaa ya have to promise to convert it somehow. Some audio/video place in town will do this for you. Check around and I will mail it.

because you are getting the free tape, not me. Anyone else want to take me up on my offer? I ship; you copy... Sounds reasonable to me.

Pwitty93, I wasn't trying to bully you into making a digital copy. If I am the only one with a copy of the show, then we really should have it converted. If someone wants to find an online shop that does such conversions (VHS --> Mp4 [whatever]) and can pay, I will gladly send the tape in for the benefit of us all. I'm just a poor student at the moment struggling -- well -- with everything.

One reason I would like the info on youtube is because some experts were interviewed and they really set the record straight. It seems like Montel did two shows on the subject because the first one was so successful (high ratings).

i don't know, i only remember the one show. but amid all the drama and hystrianics of dan's mother, there were some nuggets of pure gold by martin ottenheimer, a genetic expert whose name escapes me at the moment, and a psychologist, whose name i also forget... i'll remember them both later in the day i'm sure, but i have only been out of bed for 10 minutes... not enough time to sweep the cobwebs from my brain!

I remember the second show and think I have it recorded too. It wasn't nearly as good without Dan's mom! She was something else! Like a wound up Madea!

Hey I just looked up how to spell madea and learned that tyler perry plays that part HIMSELF! No friggin' way!

you didn't know tyler perry played that role? and a few others? i knew that. reminds me of.... eddie murphy? martin lawrence? both of them maybe? seems like they all liked playing multiple roles of both genders.

oh, and i still don't remember any other montel show. i really want to see that one. OH WAIT! i do too! it was the one with heller on it, wasn't it?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor