• Announcements

• KC

Get Smart on the Web   09/16/2016

Be informed on better ways to stay safe on the web -- Source: Mozilla
nessa76

Mormon bible?

This topic has had no activity within the past six months. It is recommended that you start a new topic instead of replying to old topics.

7 posts in this topic

I've tried looking over the internet about Isaac and Rebecca in the Mormon bible but its come up with nothing.

Does anyone know if Isaac and Rebecca is mentioned in the Mormon bible and in detail?

Thanks

nessa76

no idea. i'm not mormon. as i understand though (because my daughter's in-laws are mormon) they use the real bible as "supplemental" to their own. and you should remember that historically, cousin marriages were very, very common in the mormon church until recent years.

no idea. i'm not mormon. as i understand though (because my daughter's in-laws are mormon) they use the real bible as "supplemental" to their own. and you should remember that historically, cousin marriages were very, very common in the mormon church until recent years.

Thanks LadyC, the reason I was asking is partly because of my attraction towards my cousin who is a Mormon. Also, his sister who is one too is married to her 2nd cousin. I was mostly wondering on the lines of 1st cousins though  :smiley:

A quick search of the Book of Mormon does not have the name Rebecca of Rebekah. I could be wrong but it looks like this is strictly from the Bible.

A couple of quick points. The Book of Mormon is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ" and we refer to all of the works as scripture. One not having more weight than the other. I have seen the statement on here before about the (former) propensity of LDS to marry their cousins.  There has never been  a citation to back this statement up. And - being married to my first cousin - I have no issues with it. Just do not like to see stereotypes perpetuated without citations.

As to the Church's position in first cousin marriage - there is not one. As long as you are abiding by the laws of the land a Bishop or other Church leader will (should - if they do it is not backed up by the Church) not have an issue with it. I speak from first hand experience as well as having a father-in-law who is a Bishop. So, as long as you are legal you are good to go in the eyes of the Church. This includes the Sealing Ordinance.

HEPSMP

The Book of Mormon deals with supposed prophesies in the Americas from about 600BC - 400AD.  It is considered another revelation of Jesus Christ.  As such, it does not contain the story of Jacob. 

The Mormons, however, do hold the Bible as the Word of God - both Old and New Testament.  The Book of Mormon makes their holy scriptures complete.

A quick search of the Book of Mormon does not have the name Rebecca of Rebekah. I could be wrong but it looks like this is strictly from the Bible.

A couple of quick points. The Book of Mormon is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ" and we refer to all of the works as scripture. One not having more weight than the other. I have seen the statement on here before about the (former) propensity of LDS to marry their cousins.  There has never been  a citation to back this statement up. And - being married to my first cousin - I have no issues with it. Just do not like to see stereotypes perpetuated without citations.

As to the Church's position in first cousin marriage - there is not one. As long as you are abiding by the laws of the land a Bishop or other Church leader will (should - if they do it is not backed up by the Church) not have an issue with it. I speak from first hand experience as well as having a father-in-law who is a Bishop. So, as long as you are legal you are good to go in the eyes of the Church. This includes the Sealing Ordinance.

HEPSMP

Do you mean by legal we're good to go, as in legal age?

Legal as in abiding by all the laws of the land.  This will vary by each state and the laws therein regarding cousin marriage.  For instance - the state we live in does not allow cousin marriage but does not void a cousin marriage that is legally performed in another state.  So - we could not get married where we now reside - but we could go to Colorado and get married - and then move to where we currently live.  This belief is derived from the LDS Articles of Faith - specifically number twelve that states:

"We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

So - it really depends on your given situation.  The permission of the Church is not required (unless you are talking about the Sealing Ordinance) for marriage.  However, if your potential partner is a member in good standing - and wants to keep it that way - one of the commitments they have made is to obey, honor, and sustain the law.

Hope that helps - HEPSMP

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor