pb

Local Support Group

Hi,

I'm sure this is a long shot, but I was wondering if there is such a thing as a local support group for married cousins.  I am very thankful for the online support we can get from this site, but I think my husband and I would benefit from getting to know others personally in the same situation as we are.  We currently live in Mesa, Arizona.  If there are any other married cousins in our area, perhaps we could get together in person for support and fellowship.

Thank you.

pb

8 hours ago, Grategrandma said:

We are not married but we live in Las Vegas. 

what part of vegas? i lived over by sunrise mountain for ten years.

I was afraid to say we live in Vegas because it is a class A felony to be with your 1st cousin in the state of Nevada. I was hoping to find information on how to change the law but the stories on here are so inspirational and so much of the way we feel it's just heart warming to know there are other people who feel the same way. 

Right now I live with my daughter and family in the Winchester area. 

i doubt the cops would ever show up at your door anyway. heck, mark and i renewed our vows when we lived there... publically... on television... for an episode of 20/20 that was specifically about cousin marriage. i can't tell you how many times that episode aired while we lived there. i was also interviewed for a fox news program called the pulse that aired while we lived there. not to mention multiple magazine, radio and newspaper interviews. even though we are first cousins once removed, our marriage (according to nevada law) is considered a felony and is void (not recognized) by the state. it's not like we kept our marriage a secret! so i don't think you need to worry too much, unless there was ever a third party that wanted to use your relationship as leverage in a court case, a custody battle, an insurance or estate settlement, or something like that.

I will show your post to him.

THANK YOU!! hugs 

I have never done anything again the law I'm aware of. We have decided we are going to be together no matter what. The problem we have is his mother's maiden name and my mother's is the same and That needs to go on the marriage certificate. 

I will try the find the TV shows you were in. Happy! 

If I lived in a big city, I would start such a group. There is not a cousin couple support group anywhere that I am aware of. We have kicked around the idea of having a big event in Vegas (annually?) but it would require wherewithal that I do not have. Also, I don't think we have enough people. Maybe on the website's 30th anniversary we could do something special.

• Like 1

My hubby and I are in Congress ,Az   until  Feb 14. Have been married for almost 15 years. 

We are second cousins and from Texas.