Jump to content
Nick

can parallel cousin Couples have a Healthy child

Recommended Posts

On 1/14/2018 at 1:53 AM, Nick said:

Hey all the cousin couples !!! We are parallel cousins.. my mom and her mom were sisters.. please help us..

 

YES, you can have healthy children.  Genetically, if you have a child with a complete stranger there is a 3% chance of something going wrong, which means there is a 97% chance of everything going right.  First cousins, the odds of something going wrong only goes up by 1.5%, but for argument's sake lets round it off and just say 2%, giving it the worst case scenario.  That means in the worst case scenario you have a 5% chance of something going wrong, but with a good 95% chance of everything going right.  The general social belief in society is that every cousin coupling is guaranteed to go wrong and this is simply not true.  The only time you should be seriously concerned is if recent close generations prior to you have coupled together (usually unlikely) or if you have a prior unusual genetic disorder that would have passed down regardless of your close relationship.

I too am in love with my first cousin, my mom and her dad, are sister and brother.  I did my research (a lot of it) and most of it trying to dismiss how I felt as foolish or wrong.  The more I looked into the matter, the more I realized I was neither foolish or wrong.  Moreso, I learned of many cousins who were happily married with children and how perfectly legal it was where I lived too.  Even today there are public figures, both present (current) and past who have had relationships with their cousins.

Edited by CousinILoveYou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CousinILoveYou said:

 

YES, you can have healthy children.  Genetically, if you have a child with a complete stranger there is a 3% chance of something going wrong, which means there is a 97% chance of everything going right.  First cousins, the odds of something going wrong only goes up by 1.5%, but for argument's sake lets round it off and just say 2%, giving it the worst case scenario.  That means in the worst case scenario you have a 5% chance of something going wrong, but with a good 95% chance of everything going right.  The general social belief in society is that every cousin coupling is guaranteed to go wrong and this is simply not true.  The only time you should be seriously concerned is if recent close generations prior to you have coupled together (usually unlikely) or if you have a prior unusual genetic disorder that would have passed down regardless of your close relationship.

I too am in love with my first cousin, my mom and her dad, are sister and brother.  I did my research (a lot of it) and most of it trying to dismiss how I felt as foolish or wrong.  The more I looked into the matter, the more I realized I was neither foolish or wrong.  Moreso, I learned of many cousins who were happily married with children and how perfectly legal it was where I lived too.  Even today there are public figures, both present (current) and past who have had relationships with their cousins.

The age of the woman is also a variable. The risk of birth defect increases when the woman gets older.

Add to that the strength of the previous 'dangerous genes' from parents that contributes hereditarily. But all in all, the percentages is quite right. For cousin couples, in their  20s for example, I read one statistic that the most dangerous risk it can be only up to 7%. If that is going to be the most pessimistic statistic, I still would take that risk. Because 93% of the time, the kids are gonna be perfectly normal. :)

 

Pooch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×