CuriousCreature

Legal question for the state of Texas

Hello, my brother in law is planning to marry his first cousin twice removed. We live in Texas, and we can't seem to find a definitive answer if he can legally marry her. A lot of sites say Texas laws are really strict on cousin marriage, but then I read somewhere else that first cousins once removed were allowed to marry, so twice removed shouldn't be an issue...? Just looking for clarification. In the beginning, his family was under the impression that they were 3rd cousins, but that was not correct. Going forward, we want to make sure we have the right information. Thank you.

first cousin marriage has been illegal in the state of texas since 2005. 

however, the laws do not extend to first cousins once (or twice) removed. you'll be fine :)

• Like 2

here's a link for the definitive answer: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.2.htm

(A) an ancestor or descendant, by blood or adoption;

(B) a brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;

(C) a parent's brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;

(D) a son or daughter of a brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;

(E) a current or former stepchild or stepparent; or

(F) a son or daughter of a parent's brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption.";

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ColoradoMarried said:

First cousin twice removed? I'm curious if that's a correctly calculated relationship since it usually implies a significant age difference (first cousin of a grandparent/grandchild of a first cousin).

depends on the size of the ancestral family! i've got some first cousins twice removed that are pretty close to my age! but my mom was the youngest of 12 kids...

wait, now that i'm trying to pinpoint a few of them, i'm re-thinking that. most of my contemporaries are first cousins once removed. but all the twice removed are adults with kids of their own now so it just doesn't seem like that big of an age difference i guess.