Hello All!

My name is David and my first cousin once removed, Kelly, and I had an opportunity to reconnect last year after not seeing each other for close to fifteen years.  The circumstances are not important, but she and I took a ten day long vacation together in the Caribbean.  It was incredible and we picked up like we were kids again.  I am currently 37 years old and she is 33.  She confessed to having a crush on me when we were kids and I was beyond flattered.  We live in different States, but I have traveled to visit her twice in the past year.  Neither of us are shy about hugging or being close to each other and we regularly say I love you.  We have not persued a romantic relationship, but I find myself thinking about her often.  Her daughter, now 16 years old, commented to me how close we seem and I couldn't help blushing a bit.  Our history with relationships isn't stellar, but I feel like I can trust her with anything.  Every time I see her I feel myself falling more in love.  She is beautiful, strong, independent, and a million more wonderful adjectives!  I feel, at times, she may feel the same way about me.

I would love to talk with others here about how they took that first step to acknowledging their love.  Thanks for listening and congratulations to all of you for finding love!

Edited by David

LOL well with us, he used the standard line.... 'if we weren't cousins i'd marry you'. i can't remember what i said back, but it may have been something along the lines of 'don't let that stop you', because we didn't. we were married about 7 months later.

most states are friendly towards first cousins once removed marrying. i think only 6 prohibit it. you should gather up your courage and toss the subject out there and see where it lands! if her daughter is already saying you two seem close but she doesn't seem to have any objections (and trust me, at 16 you would KNOW if she had any objections already!) then it's likely the daughter is sitting back watching things unfold with a bit of amusement at how long it's taking.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree with LadyC!  Throw that line out and see if you get a bite!! LOL

IF she has  the eww factor, remind her you said IF!

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Ha!  You're probably right about that.  I would love to just put everything out there, but I can't be certain my cousin feels the same way.  I do feel that we would have her daughter's support which would make things so much easier.  She is a bright kid and she told me privately that her mom is planning a trip out here to spend time with me in the Spring.  Incidentally, she lives in a State which does not have a prohibition against cousin marriage.

she's probably feeling the same way and just as scared as you are to bring it up. you're gonna have to take the lead on this! just throw the line out there in a joking manner... or this line "i could kiss you right now!" when she does something really thoughtful ... just say it in a way that could be dismissed as meaningless OR could be be taken as an invitation. you never know, she might just take that as a cue to kiss YOU. 

one thing i can promise you, is that if neither of you take that chance, you're going to have a lot of regret later down the road.

That's definitely a good idea and I will let you know how things turn out!  It would be a dream to feel her lips against mine.  I hope that is not too explicit.  I am already too well acquainted with regret.  May I ask if you and your husband were always on the same page with your feelings for each other?

Is the dad of her daughter still in the picture or out of the picture? Her daughter is 16 and so she had her when she was 17-ish? Am I right David?

Pooch

She had her when she was 16 and there is no contact between them.  Typical high school cliche'.  She and I are both single.

1 hour ago, David said:

She had her when she was 16 and there is no contact between them.  Typical high school cliche'.  She and I are both single.

Got it. If that's the case and its clear, then I think there's potential here, my friend.. ?

Pooch