venu

what are the chances that, my kids will be effected with the blindness as My sister is blind. The girl I want to marry, Her grand parents are related to my peternal grand parents.

Question

Hi Experts out there, 

I am from India. My parents arranged a girl for me who is relative to our family. Her paternal grandparents are related to my paternal grandparents. 

from my side: My dad has married his cousin which is my mom.  My sister from birth had night blindness and slowly as she grew up she lost her vision.

from girls side: Her dad is also married to his cousin. The girl has a brother that was born with very low weight(850 grams). Now he is 12 years old and healthy boy.

So the girl's father thinks that, as my sister is blind it is likely that it will affect my children if we get married to his daughter. It is so concerning to me as I have neither scientific evidence nor expertise advise to convince the girl's dad. 

I like this girl a lot as she is my relative and she is very easy going.

I did read up on quite a few of the articles out there on cousin marriages and I came to conclusion that, cousin marriages almost as risky as the normal marriages when it comes to the children that will be born with major defects. 

please suggest how I need to convince my uncle(girls dad). 

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, venu said:

Hi Experts out there, 

I am from India. My parents arranged a girl for me who is relative to our family. Her paternal grandparents are related to my paternal grandparents. 

from my side: My dad has married his cousin which is my mom.  My sister from birth had night blindness and slowly as she grew up she lost her vision.

from girls side: Her dad is also married to his cousin. The girl has a brother that was born with very low weight(850 grams). Now he is 12 years old and healthy boy.

So the girl's father thinks that, as my sister is blind it is likely that it will affect my children if we get married to his daughter. It is so concerning to me as I have neither scientific evidence nor expertise advise to convince the girl's dad. 

I like this girl a lot as she is my relative and she is very easy going.

I did read up on quite a few of the articles out there on cousin marriages and I came to conclusion that, cousin marriages almost as risky as the normal marriages when it comes to the children that will be born with major defects. 

please suggest how I need to convince my uncle(girls dad). 

The risk depends on how old are the couple. May I ask how old are you guys already? I assume that it's marrying age -- like around late 20s?

Pooch

this is a question for a genetic counselor (i'll call it GC from here on out.) a GC can determine whether the blindness was caused by a recessive gene and whether you and/or your girl carry the same gene. 

if the blindness is a recessive genetic condition, then you and your cousin would both have to have the defective gene for your children to also have it.

the blindness may also be hereditary only on the maternal line, which means her children would be at risk to become blind regardless of who she married, even if it wasn't you.

and the blindness may be an anomaly that is not hereditary at all.

i really, really encourage you ask your doctor for a referral to a GC. i don't know how it works in India, but here in america almost all insurance plans cover genetic counseling.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pooch said:

The risk depends on how old are the couple. May I ask how old are you guys already? I assume that it's marrying age -- like around late 20s?

Pooch

I am 28 years old and the girl who i would like to marry in 24 years old.

7 minutes ago, LadyC said:

this is a question for a genetic counselor (i'll call it GC from here on out.) a GC can determine whether the blindness was caused by a recessive gene and whether you and/or your girl carry the same gene. 

if the blindness is a recessive genetic condition, then you and your cousin would both have to have the defective gene for your children to also have it.

the blindness may also be hereditary only on the maternal line, which means her children would be at risk to become blind regardless of who she married, even if it wasn't you.

and the blindness may be an anomaly that is not hereditary at all.

i really, really encourage you ask your doctor for a referral to a GC. i don't know how it works in India, but here in america almost all insurance plans cover genetic counseling.

Thank you very much for speed response. I will ask my dad to consult the GC to find out more about the problem that my sister has. 

Workout knowing what is causing the blindness, we can't say if your children would be at an elevated risk. Can you tell us more or give us a name? For all I know your sister could have childhood cataracts, which is very treatable. I'm not trying to patronize you, but this is very important.

I second a referral to a genetic counsellor... they'e educated specifically in this sort of thing and will be able to get a full detailed history from various questions and give you a good insight as to whether or not this should be a problem. 

Good luck !