Cousin Couples' Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JolinaBlack

Long Distance relationship with my cousin.. help!

Well, this is what I get for reading too fast (skimming): I missed a lot of important details!  Pooch, Romalee, and LadyC all picked up on this pretty quickly.  Honestly, LadyC called it exactly what it is - an "emotional affair."  So let's get to the root of what an affair is.  First, this has nothing to do with the fact that he is your cousin.  That fact only allowed the access and closeness for nature to take its course.  You're a woman and he's a man and you have very specific needs that he was meeting.  In this case, you need and crave the affection, the conversation, the apparent honesty and openness you share - all of this hits you in a place you just can't resist and you're head over heels.  At that same time, he very likely finds you physically attractive, you admire certain things about him and presumably tell him so.  Maybe you enjoy doing things together or have similar hobbies or like the same types of movies.  If I'm right, it won't be long before he tries to persuade you to share some of those intimate moments online (FaceTime, SnapChat, etc.), because that will ultimately hit him in a similar place.  Because of how he makes you feel, maybe you'll even agree - after all, you'd likely enjoy the rush of feelings.

This is a death spiral for both of your current relationships or family situations and nothing good can possibly come of it.  There are children involved and, though you're not married to the father of your daughter, you rightly see that you can't just up and leave where you are because you have roots there.  He has children he likewise cannot uproot.

Are your current relationships suffering?  Yup.  And they will continue to decay and rot and stink and fester until they eventually die if you don't turn the ship around.  So, are your feelings normal?  You bet!  Normal and natural and very human.  They're also destructive and wrong - not wrong because you're cousins but wrong because of the damage they'll cause and because their source isn't real (it's not that you love one another this way, but rather that you love the idea of what you wish your current relationships could and should be).

The good news, now that I've rained all over everyone's parade, is that you CAN have a full restoration of your current relationship and have in that relationship exactly what you're experiencing in your affair.  You really can!  It will mean breaking off the affair, thanking one another for being there in a season of drought and doubt but understanding that you simply cannot continue any kind of private relationship going forward if you are to succeed in repairing your current one.

I say this because you had a child with this man and he's still in your life.  That usually happens because you actually were passionate for and about one another at some point.  At some point, you called one another all of those cute names and used silly voices when you'd talk and all of that other mushy stuff couples do early on.  You can repair that.  If you're interested, I recommend a couple of books (or Audible books):

1) The Five Love Languages

2) His Needs, Her Needs

Start with those and see where they lead.

Best wishes and God bless,

CM

• Like 2

he's right, ya know. if you do want to repair your relationship with your child's father, you absolutely can. it will take work,  but it can be done. that's the other part of my story that i didn't share... mine and mark's marriage was definitely on the verge of collapse at one point. in fact, it was on the verge for several years. but we overcame it, and for the last six years, i've had the marriage of my dreams, with the man i made a commitment to 19 years ago. there's another book  that i would recommend along with what CM suggested...

the love dare. you can get the audio book free here: http://bit.ly/lovedareaudio (it's free with a 30 day trial to their audio service, but you can cancel and keep the book.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By DF
      Hi everyone!
      Thanks for having me. I joined this group because my mother dated her first cousin, and although some may think it's a a weird thing to do, she was really happy, and I was happy for her! It made me think, why is this such a taboo thing when it isn't wrong AT ALL? So I've decided to do something to help "normalize" cousin relationships in a big way. 
      I'm a professional stand up comedian and will be filming a comedy special/documentary in March of 2018 in Los Angeles. I am looking for cousin couples who are dating, married, etc. or relatives of cousin couples - basically, anyone who is connected to a cousin relationship who is willing to speak about it on camera. My goal is to inform my audience about the statistics, facts, and normalcy of cousin relationships in a funny way (not making fun of it, speaking positively about it), in order to help attract the positive attention it deserves. It would be a short interview, a chance to tell your story. I'll be interviewing my mother as well! It will be distributed via a major company/network. 
      I will be holding pre-interviews in February of 2018. If you, or anyone you know, may be interested, please have them contact me for more information: [email protected]
      Thank you!
      Delanie
      www.delaniefischer.com 
    • By Emma_1
      Sorry for the long description but I need some advice.
      My maternal first cousin recently had a bad separation. His ex cheated on him and broke his trust. Although he told me he doesn't want anything to do with her anymore I think he hasn't moved on completely yet. The reason I say this because I've accidentally found her picture in his wallet.
      Anyway, so I met my cousin after 7 years. We had a thing 7 years back but that didn't last for some reason. Now, that I met him again the spark started to return.  We both are deeply attracted to each other and sexual tension is massive. As we didn't want to be in a relationship for a reason we agreed to be fwb. 
      I lost my virginity to him and the sex was freaking awesome. He just LOVED sex with me. The sex had always been passionate and hot. He's obsessed with me. He had always wanted to make love to me. He even told me I turn him on like he never thought was possible and to him I was irresistible. He even said he never felt this chemistry with anyone else. I had given him massive turn offs at times yet it didn't stop him from wanting me. Not to mention he genuinely cared a lot about me. He loved taking me out and spending time with me. Used to get offended if I didn't join him while eating. And felt twinge of jealousy if I talked to other guys.
      I ended the fwb relationship with him for a reason and told him. He was deeply hurt, I could see a certain pain in his eyes. He reluctantly agreed without wanting to know the reason. And from that day he has become aloof and distant. He still cares about me and talks to me but he's toned down. 
      Is it how fwb supposed to feel when the relationship is over? Why is my cousin behaving like this? He's a very experienced man and compared to him I am a novice who can't even give a proper bj, what's so sexy about me that used to turn him on like crazy?
    • By Broski
      So, a couple of years ago, I started having feelings for my cousin, however, we hadn't seen each other too much and even though we talked a lot over text we lived on opposite sides of the world. Now, to be with family, me and my mother moved to the same country as her and our family lives. This means that I have seen her quite a lot, sometimes as much as more than once a week. But instead of trying to pursue my feelings, I thought I would try and get over it, and have even had a relationship in the mean time, however, that hasn't worked out and now I find myself right where I started, somehow still with strong, if not stronger, feelings for my cousin. We text each other and muck around as good friends do to an extent, but deep down I want it to be as more than just friends. My friends have seen how we text each other and say we seem almost too close and it seems kind of flirty, but I'm not sure, especially because that's how we've talked a lot of the time, although it feels a bit more prevalent now. I'm not sure what to do in this situation, so any advice would be appreciated. I am 17 and she just turned 20 if age is of relevance. There are many more things I could say but they don't really come into relevance context wise.
      Thank you for your help.