CJO

Cousin relationship laws in Minnesota

Hello,

I am a 42 year old female who is in a romantic live-in relationship with my 47 year old male first cousin.  We've been together since the end of 2016 and are very much in love - he is the love of my life and says that I am his.  I was reading the page on this site that has state laws and, though I knew we can never marry in Minnesota where we live, it has totally freaked out to read that just our relationship alone is illegal and we could face jail time if convicted.  I've been trying to find more information about this online, but haven't come across anything.  Does anyone have any more info about this law in Minnesota?  We have some family members who disagree with our relationship to the point of hostility and I'm so scared that, if they found out about this law, they may turn us in.  Please help!

Edited by CJO
added tags

I would be more worried if this was a child custody issue or estate issue. You can always move to another state. Can you return after you are married? You should pose that question to your attorney.

Best of luck. I wish I could be more helpful.